lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-2018, 12:01 PM   #1
Mateo82
Not Yet Wild

Question converting yamaha g14 from 36v to 48v

I am in the process of converting a Yamaha g14 from 36v to 48v. I have upgraded the controller to an alltrax 400a. I also have upgraded the f and r switch to a set of reversing contactors from carts unlimited. The solenoids in the contactors are rated at 36v. Scott had told me that you can still active the coils with 36v but use it for 48v with a diode setup. He told me to post a thread on here and ask Sergio if he could help. Long story short I was wanting to convert to 48v using the 36v solenoid setup in the reversing contactor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mateo82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: converting yamaha g14 from 36v to 48v

If You have the SW202 type Reversing Contactor, they are guaranteed to pull-in at 70% of the rated voltage coil (even less for some models).

The only thing You need to do is provide a separate negative wire just for the reversing contactor coils.

That negative wire will connect to your 12v (4 x 12v setup) or 16v (6 x 8v setup) battery position.

That way when you apply +48v positive activation to the reversing contactor, the voltage across the coil will be either +36v (48v-12v) or +32v (48v - 16v).

The only important thing is that you need a diode at the end of that new negative wire before it connects to the battery post.

I like the 10 amp diodes for that purpose:
https://www.amazon.com/20-Pieces-10A...dp/B079KBP5CN/

You can solder the diode near the end of the wire close to the battery post.

The side with the stripe (cathode) is oriented towards the battery post.

The diode assures that new wire can only be used as a "return" and not become a source of voltage when the Contactors are OFF.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:38 PM   #3
Mateo82
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help. I will give it a try!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
Mateo82
Not Yet Wild

Question? I am converting a g14 36v to 48v. I have an alltrax 400a controller and a am going to put in the 48v solenoid and resistor. I am running the reverse contractors and I am going to activate then with 36v per our previous discussion. I was planning on using the stock yamaha 36v motor with new 2 gauge cables. Do you think this setup will work? Or should I upgrade the motor also? I will also be running 8 - 6 volt batteries.

Thanks for your time

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha