lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-10-2019, 06:44 PM   #1
alchemy
Gone Wild

Default What is this solenoid and do I need it?

2013 carryall 6 which I think is similar to a precedent. Not sure of a good way to post pics here yet. It's a large, like 3"X4", square solenoid under the seat on the passenger side mounted against the back "wall." It had a rusty blade which broke off on the coil connection I assume. I have not found any changes with the cart yet except now I know what seemed to be clicking every 30-90 sec or something. I have a 2011 parts manual and it just says "102774701 Solenoid, 48V" and appears to be connected to a motor controller which must be on the other side of the wall or box.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #2
yawood
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What is this solenoid and do I need it?

It sounds like the OBC, the solenoid attaches near it (see the attachments).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OBC_controller_solenoid_diagram.jpg (135.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190216_181850 1024 with OBC label.jpg (191.6 KB, 0 views)
yawood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:13 AM   #3
alchemy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawood View Post
It sounds like the OBC, the solenoid attaches near it (see the attachments).
thank you, yes, that's it, but wherever it connects is not immediately visible. I still don't see anything it changes yet, with it's coil disconnected. I wondered about charging but it charges and right now I'm seeing if it charges to normal completion.

edit: my set up is different than that but that's what the solenoid looks like
Old 08-11-2019, 12:25 AM   #4
alchemy
Gone Wild

Maybe it's normal closed and it needs to activate and disconnect for the tow/run switch or something? I'd guess it switches entire pack power for something since it's so big and is switching #2 cables.
I guess I could check to see if it's open or closed.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:30 AM   #5
alchemy
Gone Wild

Now wait a minute! I got it screwed up. I guess maybe because of bad light and looking at pics or something but NOOOO, it's like 2"X 3" and only switches a wire which looks to be about 14 gauge. SORRY ABOUT THAT! I might have that part number wrong too. I don't think there is a solenoid which switches 14 gauge wire in my parts manual.
For what it's worth, right now while on the charger it reads 58 V with the negative meter lead on one side and the positive lead to positive on the pack and nothing on the other cable connection, so it must switch a negative and is normally open?

edit- later found the charge did go to completion and seemed normal. I wonder though if the OBC uses that solenoid to sample the pack and "adjust." I thought this charger and algorithm only went to 55.3 but that's in the bulk phase and I never checked it at a random point in the final phase where I saw 58V here. I expected it to be lower in the final phase. I wonder if because that solenoid is disconnected, and if the OBC is not able to monitor because of it, then maybe it charged with a default or something? It would be nice to leave that solenoid disconnected so I don't have to hear that clicking all the time but would it ruin something?
I wanted to fix the thread after finding I screwed up ID'ing this thing but I guess I can't delete my posts ?

Last edited by alchemy; 08-11-2019 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 08-11-2019, 01:43 AM   #6
alchemy
Gone Wild

yawood your pic could still be right and the solenoid does look like that just smaller than I originally thought. The pic in my parts manual and others for the part number I posted look to be for #2 cable and not the one I broke the blade off of.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:23 AM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

alchemy, can you post a photo of what you are talking about?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #8
alchemy
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
alchemy, can you post a photo of what you are talking about?
finally figured how to load pics
the bar code looks like it says something like SOL2112
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid.jpg (48.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #9
alchemy
Gone Wild

here is from a 2011 carryall 6 (mine's a 2013) parts manual for the "solenoid 48V 102774701 "
Although it looks the same I don't think that's it as you can see the heavy cables and other components. The one I'm speaking of in the pic only has small wire with no such components visible near by. It's under the passenger side seat against a wall by itself. I'm wondering if parts sites are mixing it up too. I'd guess I probably do have this solenoid in the diagram inside the aluminum box or behind that wall as well. OR, maybe they rigged it to use differently for something and put it on the outside of the box with smaller wires?? Pretty sure though that only a golf car dealership ever worked on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solenoid 2.jpg (134.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-11-2019, 04:02 PM   #10
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I'm not sure what that little solenoid with those small wires goes to. You will need the exact wiring diagram for your cart.

If the cart is operating normally and there is no solenoid click you have another issue or it could be related. IDK what that little solenoid does.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car