lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
tmaster2166
Not Yet Wild

Default wiring converter to the ignition

I have a 2011 Precedent with the 6-8 volt battery set up, I have a factory club car DC/DC converter with 2 plugs coming off it. one plug is 3 wire (blue,yellow and white wires) coming out of them and the other has a 2 wire plug (red ,black). both plugs were plugged in to the harness in the dash as the converter was mounted between front shock mounts.
Converter seems to always draw power unless unhooked I was wondering if I can wire this converter into the switch so it shuts off with the key so nothing draws while sitting?
If this is possible is it as easy as taking one of the 3 wires to the cold side of the ignition?
tmaster2166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: wiring converter to the ignition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaster2166 View Post
I have a 2011 Precedent with the 6-8 volt battery set up, I have a factory club car DC/DC converter with 2 plugs coming off it. one plug is 3 wire (blue,yellow and white wires) coming out of them and the other has a 2 wire plug (red ,black). both plugs were plugged in to the harness in the dash as the converter was mounted between front shock mounts.
Converter seems to always draw power unless unhooked I was wondering if I can wire this converter into the switch so it shuts off with the key so nothing draws while sitting?
If this is possible is it as easy as taking one of the 3 wires to the cold side of the ignition?
Should be.
One of the 3 wires is probably an enable input for an internal relay.
I just added an aftermarket reducer 4 wire so I put in a separate Key Switch activated relay.
One of the 3 wires is probably is going to the hot side of the Key Switch and should be on the cold side.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:18 PM   #3
tmaster2166
Not Yet Wild

The wires do go to the switch but the unit still draws from the batteries unless I completely unhook it I was just thinking if I could wire it directly through the switch so that it only draws power when the key is on then there would be no draw on the batteries when the switch is off.
Not for sure if I am making sense but hope someone can tell me as I am new to electric carts.
Old 06-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #4
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaster2166 View Post
The wires do go to the switch but the unit still draws from the batteries ....
What you want is how it should be, it may have changed.
You say "wires do go to the switch".
I think there should only be one wire going to the cold side of the Key Switch.
It will trigger the reducer to turn on when the Key Switch is on, which is what you want.
I'm not familiar with the wiring of the CC 5 wire reducer, but I think one of the other wires in the 3 pin connector should go to B+ and the 3rd to B-.
The 2 pin connector is probably Red (+12v) and Black (-12v).
The B- and -12v must be kept separate.

Can you find where the tap for the reducer is, bat1 (48v) or bat5 (16v)?
Our 2003 had a CC factory reducer 4 wire, 16v to 12v, tapped on bat5.
I replaced it with a 48v to 12v reducer, tapped on bat1.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:01 PM   #5
tmaster2166
Not Yet Wild

The wiring for the converter has a adapter that goes in between the 12 pin on the wiring harness and I believe it is supposed to shut off with the cart but I have been told by a club car guy that says it will still draw power from the batteries (and it does because the only way for me to get it to quit is to unhook it.). Did I mention these converters will still draw when the cart is in TOW also.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car