lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-21-2020, 11:16 AM   #1
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default What is this Controller Connection?

I posted this photo in my older thread and I guess no one saw it. I need to know why these two wires to the sixteen pin connector have the rubber showing around the wires #2 and 9. Is this some sort of insulation for those particular wires?? Should I remove it before connecting to my new 500a controller?
Thank you for your expert advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Controller Pin.jpg (93.7 KB, 0 views)
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: What is this Controller Connection?

That is not factory and it does not belong with that type of connector either.

It appears someone fixed the Controller Molex Mini-Fit Jr. Series and used a cable seal from a Delphi Weather Pack connector.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #3
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post
I posted this photo in my older thread and I guess no one saw it. I need to know why these two wires to the sixteen pin connector have the rubber showing around the wires #2 and 9. Is this some sort of insulation for those particular wires?? Should I remove it before connecting to my new 500a controller? ...
I'm no expert and I did see the pic in the other thread, but my connector does not have the rubber sleeves. The yellow wire is one of the four MCOR input lines and the gray wire is the Tow/Run switch input. There should be a Purple/White next to the Yellow Pin #3, but it looks empty. My guess would be the rubber sleeves are a sealing sleeve to keep moisture out or part of a pin retainer after replacing those 2 pins. There is normally not any rubber like that in the connector so it looks like a repair has been done. It is odd there is nothing in Pin #3.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Since it is missing pin #4 that is an Excel cart and it does not have a dedicated return pin for the MCOR.

You just need to make sure the MCOR purple/white wire and the Speed sensor negative wire are both connected to B- somewhere or you will not get the proper throttle signal on pin #2 or full speed without speed sensor pulses.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:22 PM   #5
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
That is not factory and it does not belong with that type of connector either.

It appears someone fixed the Controller Molex Mini-Fit Jr. Series and used a cable seal from a Delphi Weather Pack connector.
Thank you! So, what is the fix? Can the wire be pulled from the connector, stripped and reinserted? Or do I have to rewire a whole new connector?

Quote:
Since it is missing pin #4 that is an Excel cart and it does not have a dedicated return pin for the MCOR.

You just need to make sure the MCOR purple/white wire and the Speed sensor negative wire are both connected to B- somewhere or you will not get the proper throttle signal on pin #2 or full speed without speed sensor pulses.
It's not a Excel to my knowledge. It's a 2009 Precedent, IQ, serial #PQ0947..... Am I confused again?

The manual shows three wiring diagrams. Mine is wired for the TPS which shows #3 (Purple) Open and #4 (No wire) Open and #8 is Brown which is the reverse on the FNR toggle.

I upgraded from TPS to MCOR4 couple of weeks ago and spliced the wires as instructed to current wires at pedal assembly.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:50 PM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The short lived TPS had an unique harness and shared some features of both IQ and Excel carts, it should work fine with the Alltrax controller since I believe the XCT provides negative in both pin #3 and pin #13

Why do you think there is something that needs to be fixed with that connector, does the pin in the housing not match the other ones?

If they also used a wrong socket (pin), these are the correct part #s for the harness connector:

Receptacle Housing - Molex Mini-Fit Jr. Series 5557
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...gPG6S4gpRU0%3d

Female socket: Series 5556 (18-24 gauge wire)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...jUcB4N5jzIk%3d

Female socket: Series 5556 (16 gauge wire)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...LYpd9UGAwNY%3d
Old 07-21-2020, 02:35 PM   #7
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
The short lived TPS had an unique harness and shared some features of both IQ and Excel carts, it should work fine with the Alltrax controller since I believe the XCT provides negative in both pin #3 and pin #13

Why do you think there is something that needs to be fixed with that connector, does the pin in the housing not match the other ones?

If they also used a wrong socket (pin), these are the correct part #s for the harness connector:

Receptacle Housing - Molex Mini-Fit Jr. Series 5557
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...gPG6S4gpRU0%3d

Female socket: Series 5556 (18-24 gauge wire)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...jUcB4N5jzIk%3d

Female socket: Series 5556 (16 gauge wire)
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...LYpd9UGAwNY%3d
Sorry, I guess I misunderstood when you said it didn't belong with that type connector. I took that to mean I needed to fix it.
The pins in the housing all look identical to me.

The sharing of the harness style makes sense to me, now!

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I know it is frustrating dealing with a novice. I could not complete this project without the expert help and kindness you show.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:47 AM   #8
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
I'm no expert and I did see the pic in the other thread, but my connector does not have the rubber sleeves. The yellow wire is one of the four MCOR input lines and the gray wire is the Tow/Run switch input. There should be a Purple/White next to the Yellow Pin #3, but it looks empty. My guess would be the rubber sleeves are a sealing sleeve to keep moisture out or part of a pin retainer after replacing those 2 pins. There is normally not any rubber like that in the connector so it looks like a repair has been done. It is odd there is nothing in Pin #3.
You were all over it. I declare you an expert! Now we know why the #3 pin is empty. It's these oddities that can make things confusing.

I hope this helps someone else who has the 2009 CC Precedent TPS wiring set up.

Check your private messages.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car