lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

Default 2003 48v Club car DS IQ new XCT controller shuts off when KSI turned on

Hello all,

I’ve been upgrading a 2003 club car DS IQ with a new motor from D&D, a SW180 solenoid, and an alltrax XCT500 controller. Got everything hooked up, connected my computer to the controller to adjust torque/speed settings, everything looked good. When I turn the run/tow switch to run and turn key on, the controller disconnects. No matter what I do, controller turns off when the KSI turns on (and run/tow is on run). No click on solenoid, controller just shuts off like it’s protecting itself. I’ve triple checked the wiring, and I can’t check the monitor logs in the controller because the KSI must be on to turn it on preventing me from capturing any logs. Checked the solenoid power with it on run and KSI on, getting 48v at B+ and all large/small terminals.

I’ve been combing through these forums all day looking for similar issues, but everything I’ve found that might point to the problem turns out to be good to go. KSI, f/r, run/tow wire in the wiring harness are good. Anyone have obvious fixes that my dumb self might be overlooking?
Bnkedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2003 48v Club car DS IQ new XCT controller shuts off when KSI turned on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnkedwards View Post
.... I can’t check the monitor logs in the controller because the KSI must be on to turn it on preventing me from capturing any logs. ....
You can access the controller without power from the cart.
Pull the 16-pin connector and plug your computer into the USB-B port.
The controller can power up from the USB-B port power.
I ran the Tool Kit and powered up the controller on my desk many times before installing it in the cart.
R&TBabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2003 48v Club car DS IQ new XCT controller shuts off when KSI turned on

Quote:
.... No matter what I do, controller turns off when the KSI turns on (and run/tow is on run). No click on solenoid, controller just shuts off like it’s protecting itself. .... Checked the solenoid power with it on run and KSI on, getting 48v at B+ and all large/small terminals. ....
Don't know why the controller would shut off.
The solenoid won't close until the Foot switch is closed, too.
The solenoid large terminal minus side should not have 48v on it until the solenoid closes.
Old 09-13-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&TBabich View Post
You can access the controller without power from the cart.
Pull the 16-pin connector and plug your computer into the USB-B port.
The controller can power up from the USB-B port power.
I ran the Tool Kit and powered up the controller on my desk many times before installing it in the cart.
Thanks for the reply R&T, I can get into the controller just fine, but I can’t run the monitor log to have it write to a file until the KSI is on. As soon as I turn the KSI on it disconnects from my computer. I assume there’s a short somewhere and the controller is protecting itself.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Don't know why the controller would shut off.
The solenoid won't close until the Foot switch is closed, too.
The solenoid large terminal minus side should not have 48v on it until the solenoid closes.
When I turn the key on, I get 51v on all large and small posts, without pressing the pedal.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:05 PM   #6
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
.... As soon as I turn the KSI on it disconnects from my computer. I assume there’s a short somewhere and the controller is protecting itself.
Power from the Key switch goes to the Foot switch (Blue), solenoid + small terminal (Light Blue) and the controller (Tan) 16-pin connector pin #10.
I would checkout the Tan wiring, make sure it is getting B+ voltage and not grounded somewhere.
Those 3 wires are sonic welded to the Key switch output Blue wire in the harness.
I've read those sonic welds can have issues.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #7
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Power from the Key switch goes to the Foot switch (Blue), solenoid + small terminal (Light Blue) and the controller (Tan) 16-pin connector pin #10.
I would checkout the Tan wiring, make sure it is getting B+ voltage and not grounded somewhere.
Those 3 wires are sonic welded to the Key switch output Blue wire in the harness.
I've read those sonic welds can have issues.
Thanks again for the ideas. I saw your post from a helping some else recently and checked that tan wire in the harness earlier. When the KSI is turned on, it shows the full 51v. I just checked it again to be sure and it’s still the case.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Thanks again for the ideas. .... I just checked it again to be sure and it’s still the case.
This is a strange problem.
I would try calling Alltrax in the morning and see if they have any ideas.
I've talked to Will (ext 103) a couple of times, very helpful.
They might not be back, yet, a few days ago I called and they had been evacuated due to the fires.
Old 09-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #9
R&TBabich
Gone Wild
Club Car

Just a thought, can you power it up from the computer, what are the KS/Over/Under voltage settings?
Old 09-13-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
Bnkedwards
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Just a thought, can you power it up from the computer, what are the KS/Over/Under voltage settings?
I’ll check it in a bit to confirm, but I did check it already. Wanna say it’s set to something like 28 and 58v

Edit: It was at 24 KSI, 28 under, 57 over. I moveD the KSI and under up a bit to 38/43, still same issue

Tags
club car, ksi, xct500
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car