lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2020, 07:46 AM   #1
Leveycr
Not Yet Wild

Default Powerdrive 2 Amps at Start

I have 3 Club Car DSs and 2 Powerdrive 3s and 1 Powerdrive 2. The Powerdrive 2 will not go over 10 amps at the start of a charge on any of the carts. The other chargers jump to 15 at start. It still charges, just seems to be slower. I replaced the relay, rectifier, and fuse in it and the symptoms have not changed. Is this an issue? Should I keep using it, and just allot more time for charging when using that one?
Leveycr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2020, 09:52 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Powerdrive 2 Amps at Start

You may have lost the secondary transformer.... There are some more troubleshooting tips in the Stickys above the forum threads.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
greg-g
Gone Wild

The power drive 2 charger is a 13 app charger the other chargers are 17 app Chargers. Also check your output voltage At the end of the charge cycle
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 08:13 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

It should start out higher than that. It should go to full peg on the guage. Possible there is a wire issue, but if there is a capacitor in the charger that would be my first check. A dead capacitor will cause low output.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:48 PM   #5
greg-g
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
It should start out higher than that. It should go to full peg on the guage. Possible there is a wire issue, but if there is a capacitor in the charger that would be my first check. A dead capacitor will cause low output.
Good luck getting a 13 amp charger to Peg a 20 amp gauge
Old 10-20-2020, 07:13 PM   #6
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Good luck getting a 13 amp charger to Peg a 20 amp gauge
Page #9 - CC Powerdrive2 Manual:
3.PowerDrive and PowerDrive Plus Vehicles: 10 to 20 seconds after the charger activates, it will shutoff again to run a self-diagnostic program (the ammeter will drop to 0). Charging will resume in a few moments (ammeter will return to previous rate of charge). 4. Monitor the ammeter for the correct charge rate. The initial charge rate will vary from 15 to 19 amps,depending upon the condition and depth of discharge of the batteries. Slight variations in the initial charge rate may also result from AC line input voltages which are higher or lower than the nominal input voltage. Higher AC line voltages increase the initial charge rate while lower AC line voltages reduce the initial charge rate.

I would say ~19 amps registering on an analog gauge is close enough to 20 and FT4M was right on...

Maybe you were thinking of an ERIC charger....
Old 10-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #7
greg-g
Gone Wild

I guess there's lots of different info out there

This chart shows its output at 13 amps
And that is not close to 20 amps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201020-175617_Drive.jpg (166.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-20-2020, 08:22 PM   #8
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Yeah, I am sure. That is more the lower operating amps after the initial Bulk. I have three PD2's and all of them peg or are close on the initial start. Then they settle to around ~15a and work their way down through absorption and finishing phases.

And just about any of us on here can attest to as much as 63-65 volts on the finishing side. But I have seen what you do in regards to sporadic information and discrepancies. That is why I try to relate real life experiences with mine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car