lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-23-2020, 11:20 AM   #1
IndyNick
Not Yet Wild

Default Noco 4 bank 12v charger?

I've seen a few posts on this but nothing definitive. In need of a 48v charger and can go with all the usual options. But say I'm running a bunch of accessories? I could put all the audio on 1 battery and then the lighting on one battery and then the winch on another battery. With the Noco I can maintain each battery to their required charging needs rather than charging the whole pack which would inevitably over charge or undercharge some batteries. Would this make sense? I could potentially run a separate 12v battery just for accessories but trying to not to complicate and make more work.
IndyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Noco 4 bank 12v charger?

The average SoC maintained is a major determining factor for a lead-acid battery's lifespan and by discharging them unequally, some will die sooner than others.

The NOCO 4 bank will take care of the unequal charging caused by unequal discharging, but the batteries used to power 12V stuff will still have a lower average SoC than the ones not used for that purpose.

It would be best to use a 48V to 12V converter to power the 12V stuff so the batteries are discharged equally, but by rotating which battery powered the lights or wench or audio periodically might spread the unequal discharging around and level out the imbalances so each battery's demise is closer to the same date.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 12:51 PM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I believe that the Noco G4 (https://no.co/gen4) is the largest of the 4 bank charges that Noco makes ... but it is ONLY 10 amps per bank.

And 10 amps is really not enough to charge a 12 volt deep cycle golf cart battery effectively and to provide long term battery life.

For example, Trojan recommends a charge current for deep cycle flooded batteries of 10% to 13% of the batteries C20 amp hour rating. So for a Trojan T-1275 (or equivalent in other manufacturers), at a 150 amp-hr capacity (C20), the recommended charging amperage is 15 to 19.5 amps (see attachment).

Your best option would be to use a conventional 48 volt golf cart battery charger and install a 48 to 12 volt reducer for your accessories.

Your winch in another issue ... but there are several posts and opinions on BGW on how to supply power to a winch on an electric cart.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Also, is the noco able to charge 4 batteries that are connected in series? If each charge circuit isnt isolated, the charger would instantly fry when the second, third, and fourth batteries are connected. Basically, if all 4 charge circuits share a common negative OR common positive, you cant use it in the arrangement you are thinking of. Might want to download the manual & read it carefully to see if it says anything about this issue.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:06 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Agreed. I think they would be isolated because they are normally used in boats that have larger trolling motors that run on 24-36 volts so those would be in series.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO