lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-24-2020, 05:22 PM   #1
DB Cooper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default RXV - Someone explain Neutral to me

Trying to understand the RXV's neutral mode. When I go into neutral, the emergency brake is still activated. If I put in tow mode, the cart won't move either, but if I do Tow mode + Neutral, than I can move the cart.

I read the RXV directions, and it seemed to indicate just neutral would release the parking brake as would tow mode.

I guess it makes sense you'd need both, but just trying to understand how it's supposed to work.

Thanks
DB Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #2
Threeput
Gone Wild

Default Re: RXV - Someone explain Neutral to me

Putting it in neutral starts the systems check
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 02:02 AM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Cooper View Post
Trying to understand the RXV's neutral mode. When I go into neutral, the emergency brake is still activated. If I put in tow mode, the cart won't move either, but if I do Tow mode + Neutral, than I can move the cart.

I read the RXV directions, and it seemed to indicate just neutral would release the parking brake as would tow mode.

I guess it makes sense you'd need both, but just trying to understand how it's supposed to work.

Thanks
My RXV (2012 w/Curtis) is the same way. Tow switch first then key in N to release brake. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to be or not but I've had the cart for 4.5 years with no issues. Also, Bob Boyce tuned the controller 2 years ago. At that time the controller was hooked up to his programing station and I'm confident he would have caught any anomalies in the software or firmware if there had been any.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
DB Cooper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
My RXV (2012 w/Curtis) is the same way. Tow switch first then key in N to release brake. I don't know if this is how it's supposed to be or not but I've had the cart for 4.5 years with no issues. Also, Bob Boyce tuned the controller 2 years ago. At that time the controller was hooked up to his programing station and I'm confident he would have caught any anomalies in the software or firmware if there had been any.
Thanks, I assumed that's just how it's designed, thanks for confirming. I witnessed the same thing with the Curtis. My hypothesis is that since there's no mechanical brake, there really isn't a neutral in the way we think of it from a car standpoint. If it were trivial to hop it in neutral, I could see someone pushing it then suddenly the cart rolls away on a hill with no way for anyone to really stop it.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB Cooper View Post
Thanks, I assumed that's just how it's designed, thanks for confirming. I witnessed the same thing with the Curtis. My hypothesis is that since there's no mechanical brake, there really isn't a neutral in the way we think of it from a car standpoint. If it were trivial to hop it in neutral, I could see someone pushing it then suddenly the cart rolls away on a hill with no way for anyone to really stop it.

I can confirm that with the cart in neutral as described, the brake pedal will still provide regen if the cart is rolling (as in being towed). Says so in the manual and I tried it with the cart being pushed. Requires the cart to have at least a little bit of power.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
DB Cooper
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I can confirm that with the cart in neutral as described, the brake pedal will still provide regen if the cart is rolling (as in being towed). Says so in the manual and I tried it with the cart being pushed. Requires the cart to have at least a little bit of power.
Oh good to know, yeah that's kind of what I was after. If someone needed to due to a failure, could you put it in neutral, push the cart and have someone steer/slow it like you would with a traditional car in neutral? Sounds like you can. Regrettably, most of the times these things fail, it goes into emergency mode and you either don't have power or some major component in the system is out and you have to free roll it by manually releasing the brake entirely.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO