lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-10-2020, 09:50 PM   #1
Shooter111
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 club car ds brakes

So I finally got my golf car running thanks to all you guys. Now I have another problem my brakes are rubbing on the drum. Cart has been sitting outside for a while and it did get rusted up. I took off drum and clean up all part including drum and tested but it still rubs on drum when spinning wheel. As I kept on messing with it now the pads seem to be opened up and not letting the drum slide in. I’ve looked up videos and saw there was a brake adjuster that is used to adjust brakes. But my car does not have the adjust screw. It does have the part where screw should go according to videos but it doesn’t have the hole for it it’s sealed. Any help would be appreciated.
Shooter111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2020, 12:25 AM   #2
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 97 club car ds brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter111 View Post
So I finally got my golf car running thanks to all you guys. Now I have another problem my brakes are rubbing on the drum. Cart has been sitting outside for a while and it did get rusted up. I took off drum and clean up all part including drum and tested but it still rubs on drum when spinning wheel. As I kept on messing with it now the pads seem to be opened up and not letting the drum slide in. I’ve looked up videos and saw there was a brake adjuster that is used to adjust brakes. But my car does not have the adjust screw. It does have the part where screw should go according to videos but it doesn’t have the hole for it it’s sealed. Any help would be appreciated.
Are you talking about parts number 2,3 & 4 in the attached pic? What to be sure which parts so the experts here can help you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1997 DS brake assembly.jpg (88.6 KB, 0 views)
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:52 AM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I think 6 and 15 are what's giving him the trouble.

See if you cant press in on the shoes and work the drum on.

Make sure you sand any rust etc. off of the inner part of the drum. When it goes back on take it out and run the heck out of it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 12:54 AM   #4
Shooter111
Not Yet Wild

Part # 1 I have on there. But 2 , 3 , and 4 I do not. Part 1 doesn’t even have a hole on the back that would allow it to even have a screw there. It does have the hole in the front as shown in the picture but that it.
Shooter111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:27 AM   #5
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I think 6 and 15 are what's giving him the trouble.

I got the part about it being his brake shoes and the drum. My hair is not THAT blonde!

He said he was unable to "adjust" the shoes.
Old 12-11-2020, 01:29 AM   #6
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCNorth View Post

I got the part about it being his brake shoes and the drum. My hair is not THAT blonde!

He said he was unable to "adjust" the shoes.
Mine is. Maybe this all went over my head.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:41 AM   #7
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

Without a doubt, your comment made me laugh harder than anything I've ever read on this forum. You really felt the need to show me, on the schematic, which part was the brake shoe and which was the drum.......
You are entirely too sweet!! I will not disappoint you by saying that I know what a brake drum and shoes look like.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #8
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you are missing some vital parts. You need to order parts and I would go ahead do shoes also.
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:01 PM   #9
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

This is confusing: If the self adjuster was missing it should be real easy to put the drum on. Why is there no hole in the backing plate to access the adjuster?

Maybe the cart has a rear axle from another model/brand? I've seen another thread on this site recently where this was the case.

Also note there is a leading and a trailing brake shoe. If you put the two trailing on one side and leading on the other - one drum will slide on real easy, the other won't go on. (I tried this and it took an hour to figure out).
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #10
rowlands57
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter111 View Post
Part # 1 I have on there. But 2 , 3 , and 4 I do not. Part 1 doesn’t even have a hole on the back that would allow it to even have a screw there. It does have the hole in the front as shown in the picture but that it.
I just did my 2002 DS brakes recently and most of the YouTube stuff on CC all show the adjuster screw at the top. I didn't have that but did have the 2,3,4 in the diagram. The 'star adjuster' as we used to call them back when I worked on car drum brakes.

Once I saw that I adjusted it all the way in to assemble the brakes then did a few trail and error adjustments to adjust them out to just barely rubbing on the drums. I was a bit tedious not being able to get to the adjuster with the drums on, but I don't expect to be doing this job often.

If you are, in fact, missing 2,3 and 4 then I cannot imaging how your brakes were even working at any time. Those parts actually are the bottom anchor point for the shoes.
rowlands57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car