lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #1
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Default Another what can I tow thread

Ok here are my specs. TXT48 with Alltrax XCT 500 with 400a solenoid. I have 2G cables all around and am running a Admiral MOT-B4. I just bought a 6x12 utility trailer to tow the cart around. Since its Christmas I considered putting a hay bale or 2 in the trailer and towing the little kids around the neighborhood to look at lights. I am running the speed map but can easily switch to the torque map for this little adventure. The 6x12 probably weighs around 1350 lbs. Kids are maybe 3-4 little girls who weigh prob 60lbs and maybe a mom or 2.

Is this just too much? The run might be a mile or so round trip on pavement. I might take a few trips in a night. If its too much I can always just hook up to the truck but the kids love the cart and if its even possible I would like to use it.
sigfla45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2020, 11:47 AM   #2
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Default Re: Another what can I tow thread

I know some of the series cart guys run heavier trailers for work carts but they also seem to beef up their hitch setups. Next question is would anyone think my stock hitch setup would have trouble with this assuming the cart can handle it power wise.
Old 12-23-2020, 01:04 PM   #3
jwhranger
Gone Wild

I would be more worried about tongue weight and being able to stop, then being able to go. I have a similar setup and I have towed with it. It stops when it wants to.
jwhranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:36 PM   #4
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Just moving my 6x12’ trailer around with my atv is questionable on stopping power.
Two bails of hay is roughly 150 lbs alone,plus wheight of trailer.
That’s a lot to stop in a hurry if needed assuming both wheels locked up when hard on the brakes.
May want to use truck instead. Jmo😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:41 PM   #5
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Truck it is. I can prob put more hay in it anyway plus it extends my range around the hood.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #6
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The most important factor is whether it’s flat or hilly.
If it’s all flat, not much is gonna go wrong, assuming your hitch isn’t gonna fold up.
If it’s hilly, Nope... that trailer is too heavy.
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 11:05 PM   #7
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstermaker View Post
The most important factor is whether it’s flat or hilly.
If it’s all flat, not much is gonna go wrong, assuming your hitch isn’t gonna fold up.
If it’s hilly, Nope... that trailer is too heavy.
It’s flat. Trailer has brakes but I doubt I could rig something up for it to work with my cart brakes.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:35 PM   #8
sigfla45
Gone Wild

Still going with the truck but I found an article on cart towing capacities. According to it some carts can easily tow between 3-5k. They recommend checking your manual to see your carts tow capacity. Ezgo lists mine as 3 carts with an approved tow bar. Now my hitch is likely weaker than the factory tow bar receiver but stock my cart should pull 3k (or 3 carts weight). Rigging the 4 pole lights should also be easy as I think I just splice into my existing lights. The trailer has brakes so I assume it would work if I took the time to do it especially with my new motor. The weak part being the hitch.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
Monstermaker
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

If your trailer has electric brakes, just use the same brake controller you’d use in a truck.
The Prodigy is always a go-to. It’s inertia-sensing, it’ll control the trailer proportionately to the cart, automatically.
All it needs is 12 volts + and -, and a wire from your brake light switch. Super simple.
Monstermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO