lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2020, 08:48 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Winter driving

Just curious if anyone has successfully found a way to get more range out of an electric cart in cold weather. I know my batteries are fine because in warm weather I can get 10+ miles with ease and still be at 70-80% SOC. But when it’s cold voltage drops way lower under a load and recovers quickly after sitting a few minutes but I can tell the cart isn’t as happy (and I can’t blame it... I’ve been beating it up pretty bad dragging kids on sleds around i feel fine because I’m inside the enclosure with a heater but I don’t think my cart likes me anymore).

It does great, but after about 4-5 miles voltage drops to around 43-44v under load due to the cold and increased resistance of driving through snow so I park it and plug it back in. Then grab the other cart with the “science experiment” batteries and get another 2-3 miles worth of laps with sled

The kids aren’t done but the carts are. Guess I need the parts for my 4wheeler to come so I can use it, but it has neither an enclosure nor a mr heater
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Winter driving

It is not the cold (although that does weigh in) as much as it is the load that is drawing your batteries down that fast. You are creating a very high amp demand with pulling those sleds as compared to carrying people on your cart. Then add in more amp draw by the cart having to push through the snow, which is even more resistance.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #3
JPonLKN
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Just curious if anyone has successfully found a way to get more range out of an electric cart in cold weather. I know my batteries are fine because in warm weather I can get 10+ miles with ease and still be at 70-80% SOC. But when it’s cold voltage drops way lower under a load and recovers quickly after sitting a few minutes but I can tell the cart isn’t as happy (and I can’t blame it... I’ve been beating it up pretty bad dragging kids on sleds around i feel fine because I’m inside the enclosure with a heater but I don’t think my cart likes me anymore).

It does great, but after about 4-5 miles voltage drops to around 43-44v under load due to the cold and increased resistance of driving through snow so I park it and plug it back in. Then grab the other cart with the “science experiment” batteries and get another 2-3 miles worth of laps with sled

The kids aren’t done but the carts are. Guess I need the parts for my 4wheeler to come so I can use it, but it has neither an enclosure nor a mr heater
Gas carts just need a little red can and you can run all day and tire the kid out. Just sayin!
JPonLKN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Oh well cp, I guess you need another gas cart..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

LOL working on the gas cart thing :) though I do like my electric

I doubt the kids on the sled has much to do with it. A 50-60lb kid on a plastic Jon boat style sled has like zero resistance. Though yes, driving through the resistance of grass and snow certainly loads her down. May have to lift it, put some 25” tires on it, and add one of Dave’s packages at revolution. But maybe make more sense just to get a gas cart and fill it once per month

Plowmans is only 15 minutes away...
Old 12-27-2020, 09:11 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

I feel your pain man. 10 miles per charge in summer drops to 2 or 3 when the mercury is below zero. Now I don't use my cart for recreation and can get a days work in winter out of a charge but still,,, The best thing you can do for your buggy to get "summer millage" is to keep her in a heated shop or garage when not being used. Simple and 100% effective. Beware though, if your cart is covered in #$%king road salt, keepin' her warm is not so good.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:01 PM   #7
_ogre
Golf Cart? oops 😉

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
A 50-60lb kid on a plastic Jon boat style sled has like zero resistance...
less than zero... i've had the sled pass me before
_ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 05:19 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ogre View Post
less than zero... i've had the sled pass me before

We’ve had fun doing donuts in the golf cart in my culdesac.

Funny you mention that though I did hit a drift and almost have the kid pass me but kept chugging on and held my lead
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car