lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2020, 04:26 PM   #1
nannobooboo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 02 electric TXT - need help with lights

Hi,

I have a 2002 electric TXT with PDS and factory lights. Well, in refurbishing this buggy, I discovered that I have an Alltrax DCX controller. I did a ton of work - replaced the batteries and the battery tray, rear shocks and springs, painted, put on a Madjax cargo box, and lot of other piddly things.

Got it all back together and it runs great! Does everything it's supposed to, but I have no lights. Pulled out my trusty repair manual, and discovered the wires to the 4 terminal, 3 position switch don't match anything I could find. Here is what I have:

L = yellow
B1 = red wires together
I = white
B = white/yellow tracer

Did the continuity tests several times, and have different results. I'm pretty sure the switch is the culprit, as moving the lead around the terminal and the lug makes and breaks the circuit. I even wrote the results down because it was so erratic. Thoughts?

Next checked to see if I have battery voltage. Used the negative terminal on the #2 battery as my "ground" and to the yellow terminal we have 19.28v. So I ran it from the same ground to the white/yellow wire and got -12.80 volts (black lead on battery, red on terminal). What is up with that?

Only other clue is that when I put the test leads on the white (I) and white/yellow (B) and test continuity, I could barely hear a gentle ticking but had no continuity. Finally tracked the ticking down to the motor (I would assume the white wire). Just now rechecked for the sound, and suddenly I have continuity again! Wacky.

Help! I'm thinking I should just swap out the switch before I try anything else. Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20201229_13_57_17_Pro_LI.jpg (1.19 MB, 0 views)
nannobooboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 02 electric TXT - need help with lights

Two terminals are for the ignition switch and the other two are for the lights. Pretty sure I and B are the ignition and the other two are lights. Beware if you started jumping wires you might have sent pack voltage to the bulbs
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
nannobooboo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks. Everything worked previously. Ordered the ignition switch yesterday.

What do you think about the reversed polarity?
Old 12-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #4
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannobooboo View Post
Thanks. Everything worked previously. Ordered the ignition switch yesterday.

What do you think about the reversed polarity?
What terminals are feeding your light circuit? My guess is that you're not using a voltage reducer and instead feeding the "12 volt" side if your 4 wire switch off of 2 batteries.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:38 AM   #5
nannobooboo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Two terminals are for the ignition switch and the other two are for the lights. Pretty sure I and B are the ignition and the other two are lights. Beware if you started jumping wires you might have sent pack voltage to the bulbs
Not sure I understand your question. I can't find a wiring diagram that uses my wiring colors, but guessing that if you're right, then the "I" terminal is the white wire, and B terminal is the white with yellow tracer. I haven't modified anything on the buggy - I bought it used from a dealer. That's how the Alltrax controller was installed.
Old 12-31-2020, 02:58 PM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

I question why you are using a point in the middle of the pack as your test "ground"? The 19.28 volts sounds like 3 batteries, the - 12.8 is 2 batteries but read backwards. Is there a 10 gauge or so green wire coming from the rear if the battery compartment and attached to a terminal in the middle of the pack? You need to start with your volt meter ground on the pack ground - the ( -) lead that goes toward the controller instead of another battery. See what readings you have from there.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO