lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
GPW1263
Not Yet Wild

Default Neg batt terminal to B1 lead is suspect

Following questions apply to 1998 EZGO Freedom 36v

(I am new to the world of golf carts to please be patient and don't assume I know too much.)

History of the unit is the previous owner experienced trouble getting it to charge and finally stopped using it. It's replacement was a Kawasaki Mule. So, it sat for several years and then, was sold to me.

Previous owner was an animal refuge so the unit saw rather limited use when it was running. In general, the cart appears to have been very well cared for and all the wiring shows no signs of having been tampered with. I have never seen it run, by the way.

I began by having the charger checked and then professionally repaired (needed a fuse and two diodes were replaced).

I have six new batteries coming and 6 new 2AWG battery jumpers coming. Jumpers were in fairly good condition (two were compromised by corrosion) but all were dated 2012 (obviously far newer than the cart) and again, all will be replaced with new.

Now come the questions...

Q1 - I found a lead from negative battery terminal to the B- lug on the controller had been resting against the chassis for some time. Insulation was scuffed at that point and corrosion had formed around that particular area yet, to my eye, the insulation seemed to be otherwise intact. As a result of this point of contact, there is some minor pitting on the chassis at the point of contact and no corrosion on the ends of the lead. Near that scuffed area there was a lot of bubbling of the insulation on the lead. I've since removed that lead and stripped back the insulation. No corrosion to speak of inside so I suppose this bubbling is a result of heat.

Is this possibly an indication of some other problem or may I assume that the insulation was actually compromised? (I have replaced that lead altogether, btw.)

Q2 - Might this issue with the neg lead have any relation to the charger issues?

Q3 - Is the model name Freedom generally indicative of the assigned performance option of the unit?

Q4 - With the corrections I have made thus far, and assuming all connections are right and tight, is there anything I should do, or should not do, before hooking the batteries up and trying this thing out?

Cheers,
GPW1263
GPW1263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO