lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2021, 06:41 PM   #1
whobbs95b
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 91 EZGO is a NO GO

I have a 91 Marathon 36v Series cart. I drove it in to the garage to put a lift kit on it and when I went to move it I get the Solenoid Click no go issue.

I followed the trouble shooting guide found here:
https://www.cartsunlimited.net/ezgo-...eshooting.html

Everything checks out EXCEPT that I had -36v present on the small black solenoid terminal with the GO pedal up.

I them reinstalled the resistor and went on to test the controller.

I have 20.3 volts present between the M- and B- terminals with the GO pedal up and full pack voltage when I push the pedal.

I also tested the accelerator signal.

I get 220 ohms when the GO pedal is up, 2700 ohms when at wide open throttle.

Thoughts?

It is driving me crazy because I drove the cart in and a day later, click no go.

Thanks in advance.
whobbs95b is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #2
whobbs95b
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 91 EZGO is a NO GO

JohnnieB

any thoughts?
Old 02-15-2021, 08:10 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by whobbs95b View Post
I have 20.3 volts present between the M- and B- terminals with the GO pedal up and full pack voltage when I push the pedal.

I also tested the accelerator signal.

I get 220 ohms when the GO pedal is up, 2700 ohms when at wide open throttle.
Solenoid clicks, so the problem is in the high amp circuit.

With negative test lead on B- and positive test lead on M-, you should get full battery pack voltage when pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click and it should decrease to 0V as pedal is pushed to floor, however with pot only going up to 2700Ω, you'll probably should only get about 1/2 of the pack voltage.

If you don't get full pack voltage when the solenoid first clicks, use the positive test lead to find it. The attached schematic has the high amp circuit highlighted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marathon - Controller Schematic - High Current Traced.JPG (146.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 08:28 PM   #4
whobbs95b
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

With negative test lead on B- and positive test lead on M-, you should get full battery pack voltage when pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click and it should decrease to 0V as pedal is pushed to floor, however with pot only going up to 2700Ω, you'll probably should only get about 1/2 of the pack voltage.

If you don't get full pack voltage when the solenoid first clicks, use the positive test lead to find it. The attached schematic has the high amp circuit highlighted.
I have 20v present between B- and M- with the GO pedal up, when I advance just enough to click the solenoid, I get full pack voltage but it stays constant even at wide open throttle
Old 02-15-2021, 08:42 PM   #5
whobbs95b
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:

I just went back and tested the POT again. In forward it goes to 2700Ω but if I switch it to reverse I get 6300Ω. Didn't you see a similar problem once before?
Old 02-16-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I have 20v present between B- and M- with the GO pedal up, when I advance just enough to click the solenoid, I get full pack voltage but it stays constant even at wide open throttle
Having pack voltage when solenoid clicks indicates the high amp circuit is intact. Not decreasing as pedal is pressed indicates the controller isn't working, or it isn't getting told to pass amps.

Quote:
I just went back and tested the POT again. In forward it goes to 2700Ω but if I switch it to reverse I get 6300Ω. Didn't you see a similar problem once before?
There is a switch (MS-4) on the F/R switch assembly that places a fixed 5kΩ resistor in parallel with the 0-5kΩ pot making the throttle input to the controller 0-2.5kΩ for a half speed reverse. Somehow the F and R is mixed up on your direction selection lever.

----------------
There is also a run switch (MS-2) on the F/R switch assemble that forwards B+ to the pedal switch (MS-3) and to the blue wire that powers up the controller.

The solenoid clicks, so we know MS-2 id sending B+ to the pedal switch, but we don't know if the controller is being powered up. Check for pack voltage at the controller on the blue wire when a direction is selected.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:55 PM   #7
whobbs95b
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
There is a switch (MS-4) on the F/R switch assembly that places a fixed 5kΩ resistor in parallel with the 0-5kΩ pot making the throttle input to the controller 0-2.5kΩ for a half speed reverse. Somehow the F and R is mixed up on your direction selection lever.
Where should I look?
Old 02-16-2021, 06:33 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Here's the throttle circuit traced with MS-4 open and closed.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:20 PM   #9
whobbs95b
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Here's the throttle circuit traced with MS-4 open and closed.
MS4 was a double MS. Half of it was only to engage the back up alarm. It was gone when I got the cart. The roller arm on the reverse side of the switch was bent and constantly depressed. I replaced it with a single switch and spacers provided to me by the local golf cart dealer who confirmed that the double switch was not necessary as I no longer had a backup alarm. I installed the new switch exactly how the old one was installed minus the leads to the back up alarm.

According to this diagram it is wired correctly
Old 02-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #10
whobbs95b
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

By the way, I GREATLY appreciate your help JohnnieB
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO