lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2021, 11:29 AM   #1
jjklongisland
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 2006 DS 48V Looking for upgrade advice

So its time I show my 06 48v DS iq some love this season. I need to change the batteries. I am thinking of going with 2 48v Allied Lithiums with a total of 60AH. I am also thinking of either upgrading the controller or the motor (cant afford both along with the batteries). My carts powerplants are all stock and just had the computer turned up to max when I bought it. She gets up to around 18 mph max on flat ground and falls on her face going up hills. I would love to achieve 23 mph and not have her decrease speed on hills as much. What upgrade do you suggest. I read through countless threads and either got more confused or couldn't find a thread with my same parameters. The furthest distance I travel with it is to the local cruise night which is about 4 miles each way on side streets. Thanks in advance.

Joe
jjklongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 2006 DS 48V Looking for upgrade advice

I have the exact same setup, mine is a 2008 so apples to apples

Completely stock cart except a speed magnet from revolution. I’m running 205/50-10 tires also. With my old batteries it would run 20ish +/- pavement and do okay up hills but definitely lose some oomph.

I just put in a pair of the 48v 30aH allied batteries from plowmans (60aH total). I’m floored with the performance. I’m averaging 23-25mph on pavement prettt steady. And up hills in my neighborhood that would normally drop from 20 to around 12-14mph now loses a bit from the 23-25mph but holds steady around 20mph. And that’s with myself and 4 kids in the cart.

Call Don at plowmans and he will set you up. You may want to up the batteries to 3 of them depending on your expected range. I never really go more than about 10 miles so 60aH is great, I’m looking at around 25-30 miles on a charge. With 3 it would be even better, and the uphill performance would be better also with more amperage available from 3 batteries vs 2. But that all depends on your needs.

I couldn’t be happier and Don is the man!
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 01:06 PM   #3
jjklongisland
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I have the exact same setup, mine is a 2008 so apples to apples

Completely stock cart except a speed magnet from revolution. I’m running 205/50-10 tires also. With my old batteries it would run 20ish +/- pavement and do okay up hills but definitely lose some oomph.

I just put in a pair of the 48v 30aH allied batteries from plowmans (60aH total). I’m floored with the performance. I’m averaging 23-25mph on pavement prettt steady. And up hills in my neighborhood that would normally drop from 20 to around 12-14mph now loses a bit from the 23-25mph but holds steady around 20mph. And that’s with myself and 4 kids in the cart.

Call Don at plowmans and he will set you up. You may want to up the batteries to 3 of them depending on your expected range. I never really go more than about 10 miles so 60aH is great, I’m looking at around 25-30 miles on a charge. With 3 it would be even better, and the uphill performance would be better also with more amperage available from 3 batteries vs 2. But that all depends on your needs.

I couldn’t be happier and Don is the man!
Thank you so much for the reply. Exactly what I needed to hear. I am going to get the magnet then instead of just the speed setting in the onboard computer which how I am getting to 18 mph now. I installed a speed magnet on another cart and was pretty easy and worked great. I also heard the speed magnet doesnt go into regen therefore acting like a governor going down a hill.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjklongisland View Post
Thank you so much for the reply. Exactly what I needed to hear. I am going to get the magnet then instead of just the speed setting in the onboard computer which how I am getting to 18 mph now. I installed a speed magnet on another cart and was pretty easy and worked great. I also heard the speed magnet doesnt go into regen therefore acting like a governor going down a hill.
Actually it’s the opposite. It doesn’t go into regen, so there’s no motor braking at all. I prefer it like that. But you do have to be mindful going down hills, I’ve gotten up to 30 once down a slight hill. I caught it lrettt quick but wouldn’t recommend going that fast very often on the stock motor or it won’t be happy for long
Old 03-23-2021, 08:29 AM   #5
jjklongisland
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Actually it’s the opposite. It doesn’t go into regen, so there’s no motor braking at all. I prefer it like that. But you do have to be mindful going down hills, I’ve gotten up to 30 once down a slight hill. I caught it lrettt quick but wouldn’t recommend going that fast very often on the stock motor or it won’t be happy for long
OK, gotchia. thanks for the advise. mostly flat by me but I will try and monitor my speed. Most likely going to add phone mount so my GPS based speedo can be seen easily.
Old 03-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

IMO still worth every penny. Drove it almost 6 miles last night after work. This morning the allied meter still says 93% charge and it’s sitting at 53.4v. I’ll never own another lead acid cart again
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car