lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2021, 10:38 AM   #1
BlueChez1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Performance Upgrade questions

Hey all,

I have a 1997 E-Z-Go 36V Txt DCS cart with 22" tires and I'm lookin at performance upgrades. I get 17-18 mph now and would like to get in the 25 mph range (Flat terrain, people mover, no hills at the beach here). I will eventually be upgrading to 48V but it has 2 year old batteries so I'm waiting for next battery set purchase. I've done a ton of lurking on the site here but there is some confusing information out there and would appreciate some help.

So far I've ordered a Navitas 600 Amp controller with OTF (unsuccessfully installed first time and had a 2-8 flash code- Internal error. Now on it's way back to seller and testing, Oh joy...) and 2Awg cables. Plum quick Bandit upgrade on it's way.

So to the questions... Navitas claims that the controller is compatible with the stock solenoid and F&R switch.

Should I get a HD solenoid (recommended Specs? It looks like there are 36/48V units that will work for the eventual 48V conversion) and an HD F&R switch?

Anything that I'm missing power wise?

I'm also looking at Ausco disc brakes as the stock brakes are shite and I think are dragging/pulsing a bit. It appears that ScottyB used to sell them but I do not see them on his site? Does he no longer handle them?

Thanks for any responses. This site has been awesome for info and the tutorials/reviews have given me a good boost to upgrade!
BlueChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Performance Upgrade questions

well with a current top speed of 18 mph.....WHEN you go to 48v, that will increase to roughly 23.5 mph, as the increase in voltage will get you roughly 30% more speed AND torque. if you want more than that....go up to the next level speed motor that PQ has. Give them a call and tell them what you have and what your plan is and they will help you make the right decision.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 01:45 PM   #3
BlueChez1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sir Nuke,

Thanks for your response . I think my questions is more of whether I should upgrade the Solenoid and F&R switch to HD versions even though Navitas says it's not necessary?

I would rather replace them and get them in the hands of someone on the site that could use them now and not have them wear out a month down the road and be useless.
Old 04-21-2021, 02:02 PM   #4
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'll defer to nuke on the F/R switch but its the series carts that have issues here as the switch in them is mechanical and part of the high current delivery system. In DCS and PDS carts the actual switching is done by the controller.
Technically the solenoid is ok but as revealed on this forum the stock solenoid from EZGO is barely adequate and not 48v capable. I have one in my TXT that is rated for both voltages. Ran it for a couple of years at 36 and now many more at 48v with no issues.

Scottyb doesn't carry the Ausco brakes any more. Don't know who does at the moment.
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:40 PM   #5
BlueChez1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Kernal,

Thank you! That makes sense to me.
Old 04-21-2021, 09:33 PM   #6
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

BlueChez.....I have built a DCS for my nephew and its still going strong.....its now a 48V drive, with a 48500 controller.....as for the F&R....as kernal mentioned, the f&r is actuall some microswitches and the true switching is done in the controller, and that is fine as it is....but as far as the solenoid goes, I would highly recommend getting the 400a SD Solenoid.

400/1000 amp Super Duty dual voltage - 400a required with 500a controllers
Good with all 400 amp & up controllers. Silver oxide weld resistant contacts provide superior durability. Requires 3/8th cable lugs on the big terminals. Dual Stage 400 Super solenoid can run on 36 volts or 48 volts.

Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #7
BlueChez1
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sir Nuke,

Much appreciated!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO