lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2021, 10:17 PM   #1
smcdonald001
Not Yet Wild

Default 6 8v batteries vs 8 6v batteries.

Hello, thanks for reading. I would just like some input as to which way I should go. Here is a link to my earlier thread https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=175348

It looks like both my batteries are need replacing and I have already purchased my sr-48600 controller and accessories. The 6 8v batteries would be much easier to install (my cables are already 2gauge and long enough for that application), but to me the extended run time and AH rating of 8 6v batteries may be worth the hurdle of mounting 2 additional batteries.

Another factor is weight. I will be using the cart mostly around my property sometimes carrying loads of 500+lbs plus 1 or 2 riders. And if not doing that will most likely have me+wife+3 kids hanging on, lol.

What do you think???
smcdonald001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2021, 05:52 AM   #2
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Default Re: 6 8v batteries vs 8 6v batteries.

When I replaced my 6 8V batt's with 8 6V batts it did add weight (each FLA batt weighs about 65-lbs) but the additional run time was IMHO, worth it. I added the additional two batts in the bag well of the cart.

When I switched to lithium the loss of about 350-lbs of battery weight, plus no constant batt maintenance was a real plus.

You may wish to consider a lithium drop in set for those reasons.

But, if you wish to stick to FLA's and want\need the additional run time, go for the 8 6V batts.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 10:26 AM   #3
rockfordpi
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcdonald001 View Post
Hello, thanks for reading. I would just like some input as to which way I should go. Here is a link to my earlier thread https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=175348

It looks like both my batteries are need replacing and I have already purchased my sr-48600 controller and accessories. The 6 8v batteries would be much easier to install (my cables are already 2gauge and long enough for that application), but to me the extended run time and AH rating of 8 6v batteries may be worth the hurdle of mounting 2 additional batteries.

Another factor is weight. I will be using the cart mostly around my property sometimes carrying loads of 500+lbs plus 1 or 2 riders. And if not doing that will most likely have me+wife+3 kids hanging on, lol.

What do you think???
The US 2200 6 Volt Battery (same tier as Trojan T-105) can provide 75 amps for 115 minutes. The US 8VGC (same tier as T-875) can provide 75 amps for only 82 minutes. In both cases your pack is providing 48v.

I used US battery in the example above because it was the only battery I could find the 75 amp rating for both (most only rate 8v at 56 amps). However, the results will be similar across brands.

Note there, are a lot of other factors that go into this like the added weight and actual amp draw, my example is a generalization to say that, Bottom line, there is considerably more energy in 8 6 v than 6 8v.
rockfordpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 11:44 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You could also use higher AH capacity 8V batteries to get more range. Not as much as you can get from a 8X6V pack, but more than a 6X8V-170AH pack.

Here are charts showing the kWh storage for various 48V packs using Trojan brand batteries and the weight of various 48V packs. Calculated by the same method, a standard 36V pack using T-105 batteries is 8.6kWh.

I wanted everything to fit under the seat, but wanted more range than I could get from a 6X8V pack using the highest AH 8V batteries available and went with a 7X6V 42V - 245AH pack for 10.9kWh of storage, which gave me a 30+ mile range. Of course, my cart is extremely efficient and I don't haul heavy stuff or carry many passengers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48V kWh - Various Trojan Batteries-1.JPG (60.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 48V weight Comparisons.jpg (185.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
...Of course, my cart is extremely efficient and I don't haul heavy stuff or carry many passengers.
I've heard rumors that when elderly individuals ask him for a ride his usual response is something like "WHAT!! I look like an UBER!??"
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO