lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 PM   #11
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: G2 Driving me crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowamike View Post
My cart died this weekend in mid cruise. I had no lights so I figured I lost the ground. I Jumpered from the neg terminal to the valve cover bolts with a 7 iron and it fired up. Found a piece of #12 ground wire from an electrical cord, crimped the ends and jumpered with that. Problem solved, so I would say a #12 is fine for a chassis ground. My guess is your problem is a short in the armiture of the gen set.
Well there ya go Earl!! You were using a 12 Iron when you shudda been using the 7!!!

Just wonder'n, ya know what amps the 12ga extension cord wire is rated for?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #12
yelilly
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thank you so much Dave I will try the test tomorrow and let you know. I don't have a 7 iron handy, but I do have a Baseball Bat I would like to use on it. LOL This is the best Forum on the net for info. I appreciate everybody's help. I have a long way to go but I learn something new on every cart I work on.
Thanks Earl
yelilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 10:59 PM   #13
yelilly
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I know a 12 ga. wire for a house is 20 amps. That is what I was using but stranded.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #14
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I think there are a couple more than 20 running through it when cranking, LOL!
I'm thinking Imike just had a crossion issue with his ground and not a total failure or short.
keep us posted, we'll git'er done!
Old 09-16-2009, 03:52 PM   #15
yelilly
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
Here Earl, I just stoled this from Dave. It might help but check grounds first. Did ya check them yet?

Only a few tests for a starter/generator. You will need a volt meter. Disassemble the starter/generator . First test, red and green wires (charging circuit) should read 5 ohms or close. Second test, check for continuity between the 2 feild bolts (f1 and f2), there should be continuity. Now take off one test lead and touch the steel feild case (in several places) there should be no continuity, if so you have a shorted feild coil assy. Third, test for continuity between the (a1 and a2) studs to the brushes, should have continuity,then take one lead off and check to see if the there is a short to the metal end plate, should be no continuity. Last, clean the armature comutator with emery cloth ( if you see any "burnt/pitting" between the comutator segments, the armature is bad), check for continuity between all the comutator segments then check for countinuity from the comutator segments to the armature shaft, there sould be none, or its shorted. Sounds like alot of work? Will only take minutes. Good luck Dave
Red and green wires 5 ohms,f1 ,f2 continuity, no continuity between on steel case , a1 has continuity between 2 brushes and a2 has continuity between 2 brushes is that right? No continuity with end plate, Not burnt or pitted, no continuity between any of the copper wires on the armature to the shaft, but from the silver part to the shaft has continuity with the shaft. ( BY silver I mean the part that spins on the field coils) So please check this and let me know what you think.
Thanks Earl
Old 09-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #16
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Not sure if the plates you are talking about are pressed on the shaft or isolated with a nonconductive bushing.
Hope dave or someone who knows will jump in.
Hate to keep bringing it up but you havent mentioned how the ground cable looks or if you tried the booster cables as a ground jumper.
Any local alternator shop in your area you can have the S/G tested at?
Old 09-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #17
yelilly
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

The ground cables look pretty bad, I haven't been back to camp to try those things yet. I will be going back on Friday thru Monday. Brought the s/g home with me to test. Thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
yelilly
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I cant find any ground cables on this cart except one small black wire from the back up alarm that is HOOKED UP. Where are they normally located? There is one wire that is spliced in with the ground cable from the batt, to the starter that goes to the voltage regulator. It is unhooked, if you hook it up and crank the engine it will start smoking too. I hooked the starter back up run a 4ga wire from the neg post to the engine. I connected it to the bolt that holds the S/G. Started cranking, smoke came out of the S/G turned it off took S/G back off. The connection that is hooked from the brushes holder to the lug for the ground for the batt burned in two. Any ideas starter bad? HELP
Old 09-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #19
yelilly
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Could any one tell me where the main grnd cable for the engine to the frame is. The only one I can see is the one from the batt. to the starter. Is that it?
Old 09-25-2009, 09:18 AM   #20
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

That is it. There is no frame ground and you don't want to use a frame ground. If you do you will keep blowing the main fuse.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha