lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #1
kfp673
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 problems Looking for Sugestions

Hello All,

I have a 97 G16A used in a campground for 6 months per year. Have a 6" Jakes lift with 12" wheels and 23" tires. All else is stock. We just closed for the season so I started ripping the cart apart to get it running better for next year. Here are my issues and what we have done to date.

MidSummer- Cart totally died and would only run for a second while the choke was pulled. We pulled the carb and cleaned it and it seemed to run OK after that
A few weeks later- Cart died again. Got it back to the camper by pulling the choke in and out over and over again and it would fire for about 2 seconds and die. Pulled the bowl off the carb and it was again very dirty and the float was stuck. Cleaned it again and it started running again.
** Note- when the cart is running it still does not run great. I always have to choke it from stop to go even if warm. If I press the gas quickly it hesitates and there is a dead spot in the gas pedal.
End of season- Cart was totally dead and I gave up on it. Needed to get it running just long enough to get it on a trailer. Hit carb with hammer and it would run for about 7 to 10 seconds and then die.
Last weekend- Pulled the carb and fuel pump. Jets were very dirty. Cleaned the carb and fuel pump and am replacing all of the fuel lines.

A few things to note. I can see some dirt in the gas tank so I thought that was the issue. I replaced the in line filter which was not really that dirty and I am still getting dirt in the carb. Pulled the air filter which looks clean and dry with the exception of a very small amount of oil that seems to be on the air filter tray. It is a very small amount but I guess it could be enough to collect dirt.

My goal is to get this thing running good for next year so that I can just hop on and ride without screwing around with the choke or having to push it back.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to cover everything. I appreciate any suggestions you guys can offer. Please recommend anything that I should do this winter to avoid issues next year. If I have these issues next year this thing might become a riffle target

Thanks!
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 problems Looking for Sugestions

I would start by pulling the gas tank and flush, rinse it out, replace all fuel lines and filter.
Clean the carb and use a set of welding tip cleaners in the jets.Then get a new gas can and treat it as if you were going to drink out of it, also ad stabel to the gas can when you fill it.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Where do you get your gas at the camp?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Yep, I agree. flush out the gas tank, clean the fuel pump, clean the carb, new fuel lines, new fuel filter. Even if you just replaced the fuel filter, if you have crap in the tank, I would replace it again. I would also replace the air filter, spark plug and change the oil. G16's are great running carts.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
kfp673
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the reply's! What do you think could be causing a little oil to be getting in the air box? Also, do you think the cleaning will help the always having to choke issue or do I need to adjust the jets or idle screw etc? Thanks again
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Read your other post also about choke'n it all of the time. Sounds like a good ole fashion carb/fuel system cleaning is in order.
Follow these guys suggestions about cleaning the whole system from tank to carb.
Ya wouldn't take a shower and then put back on dirty unda-draws? Couple of these guys might but ya catch my meaning....

Pick up a gallon can of the "gunk" carb cleaner from your local auto parts store. Even comes with a little basket inside.
Things to watch out for are:
the two little hair pins that go in the pins that attatch the choke and throttle cable to the carb.
The "E" clip that holds the throttle cable in the bracket. Both will go flying if they get away from ya.

Completely disassemble the carb, little jets and all, before you remove it, screw the low speed needle (the one with the spring) in until it just bottoms out while counting rotations , (should be 1 1/2 turns) drop all in the basket with everything else including carb body and let soak for two hours.
I like to rinse everything with water and then blow out with air. I don't like blowing the carb cleaner all over.
Reassemble and reinstall being careful not to overtighten the 10mm nuts and break the manifold block.
Keep us posted.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #7
crash12888
Gone Crazy

"I have a 97 G16A used in a campground for 6 months per year. Have a 6" Jakes lift with 12" wheels and 23" tires. All else is stock."

About your oil in the airbox issue, A 6" lift will really tilt the motor back in the cradle unless the front is dropped as well. If you are using the dipstick as a fill reference you might be overfilling the block, can't remember what amount of oil the manual suggests but drain it and only add the amount it states then check your dipstick and remark it if needed.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:48 AM   #8
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

My 99 G16 used to pump oil into the air box repeatedly. I never got it to completely stop. I finally plugged off the line going to the air box, added and longer hose and ran it down and out the back like I do with my G2 and G9.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #9
bigoldjimbo
Not Yet Wild

Do you happen to know what size hose that is coming from the PCV port on the crankcase? I suppose that it's probably the same size as the rest of the fuel hose on the cart, but wanted to see if I could pick some up at work today. Thanks.

-jim
bigoldjimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:12 AM   #10
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I believe it is like a 1/2" ID vacuum line. You could see if you could loop it up as high as you can get it to trap the oil and maybe it would drain back into the motor. You check the oil level yet?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha