lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2009, 10:56 AM   #1
jadawg27
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default New g9 smoking bad

So my friend picked up a 93 g9 last night when we went and test drove it it seemed to be running pretty good and now today I took it out and its only running on choke and blowing out a bunch of white smoke. I know the carb probably needs a cleaning but what would the smoke be from? Rings?
jadawg27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: New g9 smoking bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadawg27 View Post
So my friend picked up a 93 g9 last night when we went and test drove it it seemed to be running pretty good and now today I took it out and its only running on choke and blowing out a bunch of white smoke. I know the carb probably needs a cleaning but what would the smoke be from? Rings?
Might want to check the oil level and if it smells like gas. Could be the float stuck alowing gas into crankcase. Should also check for oilin the airbox. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
jadawg27
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Might want to check the oil level and if it smells like gas. Could be the float stuck alowing gas into crankcase. Should also check for oilin the airbox. Good luck Dave
I just changed the oil last night right when I got it home smelled fine just old no gas smell at all. No oil in the air box either. I will probibly take the carb apart this weekend and see what I find in there the motor itself is filthy so I expect the same for the carb. Thanks Jason
Old 10-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
jadawg27
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I took the carb off and cleaned it its now running great but still smoking a lot I checked the compression and its got 155psi what would cause the white smoke??????
Old 10-24-2009, 04:54 PM   #5
cart de golf
Gone Wild

time for ring job

compression will still be good the oil rings are probably stuck on the piston due ton engine sludge

this is common when oil is not changed on a regular base dont forget the cart is at least 15 years old
cart de golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
jadawg27
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart de golf View Post
time for ring job

compression will still be good the oil rings are probably stuck on the piston due ton engine sludge

this is common when oil is not changed on a regular base dont forget the cart is at least 15 years old
Sounds like you could be right since I changed the oil and what came out was pretty nasty I will try doing the rings and hopefully that will take care of it. Will the compression go up at all with new rings? Thanks Jason
Old 10-26-2009, 06:45 AM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

You could also be burning off what is in the muffler. I had this same thing happen in my G16 (float was stuck and the fuel pump was full of trash and dumping gas in my crankcase). I had to change the oil a couple of times and then run the cart for a while before it finally stopped smoking. There was a considerable amount in the muffler. Just a thought.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
jadawg27
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
You could also be burning off what is in the muffler. I had this same thing happen in my G16 (float was stuck and the fuel pump was full of trash and dumping gas in my crankcase). I had to change the oil a couple of times and then run the cart for a while before it finally stopped smoking. There was a considerable amount in the muffler. Just a thought.
Maybe I will just drive it the way it is for a while then and see what happens it cant make things any worse if it is the rings could it? Thanks Jason
Old 10-26-2009, 09:41 AM   #9
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadawg27 View Post
Maybe I will just drive it the way it is for a while then and see what happens it cant make things any worse if it is the rings could it? Thanks Jason
That's my thoughts. Worth a shot anyway. And it may just be the muffler still full of gas/oil. I'd try it before tearing down the engine. Especially if you have good compression. You'll know after a little driving. See if the smoke start to dwindle down.

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
jadawg27
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Great thanks spriddle I will try that and keep you posted. Thanks again for the input I really appreciate it guys. Jason
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha