lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Default Re: Charging problem

Well done Jim! Appreciate the detail
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-16-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks Essness.

I think that if you can help the person understand why they are doing tests the way that you tell them, then you can help them along the path to becoming a true "Mechanic" rather then a parts changing monkey.
Heck, most anyone with a fat wallet can just go buy everything new and eventually fix the problem. It is the Mechanic who buys only the parts that are needed to fix the problem...
jiminpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminpa View Post
Thanks Essness.

I think that if you can help the person understand why they are doing tests the way that you tell them, then you can help them along the path to becoming a true "Mechanic" rather then a parts changing monkey.
Heck, most anyone with a fat wallet can just go buy everything new and eventually fix the problem. It is the Mechanic who buys only the parts that are needed to fix the problem...
I couldnt agree more This is the kind of detailed help that brings real value to this site.
Thanks Jim
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #14
e warmus
Not Yet Wild

I done the test as suggested ( ground DF as explained, test your voltage from F2 to A1, not on the Batt posts.) The only voltage reading I get is battery voltage 12.6.....tested all the tests on the starter-gen with all wires off as suggested again and found nothing to show a problem why it is not charging.The motor spins counter clockwise and the only info on the starter that it is from Mando machinery corp.(the only number on the case i could get was R090331759 which i could not find to see about its proper rotation.I purchased the cart 1 1/2 years ago so if it ever charged i really don't know. So as of right now even if i took to get checked unless they could put it connected to a belt to spin test it they would find no problem doing all the continuity test on the terminals. Any suggestings
e warmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

I do not know if that is the right number on that generator. I don't have a book that gives me that info. Anyone else know anything about that number? My 92 has a GS8107-04A on it.

Have you had regular problems with dead battery's since you got it? If you have a good strong battery, it will last quite a while without needing charged if you don't run any lights. I guess it is possible it has never worked since you got it depending on how much you run it.

The only thing I can think of is that the FD wire is disconnected on the inside of the case where it connects to the stud. Do you get any continuity from the FD to any other terminals? I believe the test above only checks for a shorted out FD and not a disconnected FD.

What ever the case, at this point, my money is on a problem inside the generator with a bad connection at the FD or it is the wrong generator. try calling a club car dealer and asking if that generator is correct for your cart. If it were my cart, I would try to reverse A1 & F2, but, I'm not going to tell you to do that to your cart...
Old 07-17-2010, 03:18 PM   #16
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

C.C. starter/ gen 1984 to 1996...............CCW rotation1012316 is the part# if thats what you need.......:)
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

Shadowman, does that number he posted mean anything to you? He posted a 10 digit number, your part number was a 7 digit number, and the one I saw on mine (a '92) was 9 digits.

e warmus - Your cart is a 1996 correct? I think 96 was a split year (1/2 CW rotation, 1/2 CCW rotation), so you may be at a greater risk of getting the wrong generator on a replacement. If the previous owner then fooled with it to change direction, he may have corrected the direction but ended up with a no-charge situation. again, if it were me, I think I would try to swap A1 & F2, it will still rotate the same direction, but, one way charges, one way tends to discharge.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
e warmus
Not Yet Wild

My cart is a 1996 with a counter clockwise rotation ,I ended up pulling the starter off and will take it monday to a shop I found locally ( who repairs altenators , starters and the like) they said they could connect a belt to it and bench test it.I did'nt feel comfortable switching out the wires till I see what they find.The number on the starter is R090331759 which is made by Mando corp.in Korea (limited info on numbers)...Seeing I could'nt find any info on the number I decided wait and see what they find so I don't cause any more problems than I already have.Thanks for the info and I will keep you posted on their findings....
Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #19
jiminpa
Gone Wild

Club Car

When you drop that off, I would tell them that it is for a counter clockwise application. Someone else just had one rebuilt and I believe they wired it for the wrong rotation for his cart.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #20
e warmus
Not Yet Wild

The starter is all marked with the counterclockwise rotation and and telling them what the problem is...thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car