lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
pcs
Not Yet Wild

Default Hesitation on 04 Carryall 472 (FE400 engine)

I have a 2004 Carryall 472 with the Kawasaki FE400. I have installed a new drive clutch and machined driven clutch from CCP. I'm running stock 23" x10.5 x 12 tires. I'm still having problems climbing hills (nothing aggressive). The engines starts right up, idles smooth, and I have measured my speed with a GPS up to 18 mph (17 mph since machined driven clutch install) on level paved surface. However, when I press the gas pedal past half travel, if hestitates/bogs down (like the choke is on). When I try to climb a hill, it will climb to a point and slowly stall. The previous owner had lifted it 5-6" which made the engine tilt up. I made a longer front mount that allowed the engine to be in a more stock (almost level) position. I also noticed that it had a limited slip differential but it had never been connected! For less than $30 I bought all the components to make it functional. The rev limiter ground lug has already been disconected so it can't be a player in the hestitation. The governor is still connected which may explain the top end cut-out on the flat surface (I plan to take care of that with a zip tie). I know the governor is not a player on the hill/incline since the governor is off the transaxle (based on transaxle rpm not engine rpm). I thought the air intake hose from the filter box to the carb inlet) was slightly deformed. To eliminate that possible issue, I disconnected it completely and then the engine died completely with the slightest gas pedal movement - reconnected the hose and it ran great. Tonight I put it in service mode/neutral and started the engine. I then manually pulled the throttle link at the carb connection (bypassing the governor linkage) and after approximately 3-4 seconds at the elevated rpm the engine rpm drastically dropped. It now appears the impulse fuel pump may not be delivering enough fuel. I previously thought I might have a clogged carb jet(s) causing fuel starvation, but now looking back on my hill climbing attempt, it may have stalled about 3-4 seconds after the start of the climb. Since the engine is still not "stock" level due to the lift coupled with the climb angle, and possible weak fuel pump, the engine may just be not getting enough fuel. The engine doesn't burn any oil (no smoke) and the spark plug is dry and looks great. I have searched the forums and the few posts that mention the FE400 tout its fantastic power/pull that I don't have. I almost sure the problem is fuel delivery/quantity related. I know something is not right but I don't know what.
Any suggestions?
pcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
pcs
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Hesitation on 04 Carryall 472 (FE400 engine)

---
Old 12-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

the problems sound as if you are on the right
track with a shortage of fuel. Over 1/2 throttle
and air box disconnection it gos lean.
pull the fuel line at the carb and check fuel flow.
Disassemble the carb and check float level and clean
all passages.
Good luck.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #4
pcs
Not Yet Wild

Update!

I started the engine in service mode and it idled great. I manually pulled the throttle cable at the carb and it sped up to a point and began to "fall off". I then SLIGHTLY (less than a 1/4" deflection) pinched the hose from the filter box to carb to allow more open cross sectional area where the it crosses the edge of the electrical component black box and the engine came to life! As long as I maximized the cross sectional area the carb is taking in the required amount of air. Now when I pull on the throttle cable the engine accelerates without any hesitation. I also noticed the belt now travels upward on the drive clutch sheaves to the very maximum edge. I temporarily maintained the shape of the hose by loosely cinching a zip tie around it. I then went to my "test" hill and climbed it with ease. It also accelerates on the flat pavement much better than the half throttle I was getting.

Now here's my question:
I'm sure others have run into this problem when they lifted their carts. Any solutions? I'm thinking about constructing a plenum box that fits between the carb inlet and the elctrical box that will interface with the carb inlet, then create a boss on the upper opposite side that clears the electrical box and connect a shorter hose from the new plenum box to the air filter box. I'm also considering cutting out the electrical box lid and side wall to allow the hose to lay in its natural path.

Thanks
Old 12-22-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You choked off the air!!!
Clean the the carbs and quit injunearing it!!!!
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Actually DOOms... he OPENED the intake tube!

pcs... it's crucial that Club Cars have the proper air/fuel mixture to run properly,
with the hose pinched, or without the airbox, it just won't run like it should!

Here's a link to a part that I used when I lowered the front of my engine cradle:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...ubcar-gas.html

I never posted pics... But I will now!:
(the 1 1/4" elbow, and misc. clamps and stuff, I bought in the plumbing section of my DIY center.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snubber 4.jpg (184.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Intake hose.jpg (53.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 028 (2).JPG (56.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 033.JPG (73.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 034.JPG (78.5 KB, 24 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 PM   #7
pcs
Not Yet Wild

Lockman1 - Thanks!

This is exactly what I was looking for. I will order the part today. You first two pictures look exactly like mine. (I also fabricated a forward engine mount to level the engine.)

Lockman1 - What is the gray material between the gray 1-1/4" elbow and clamps?

DOOmsman - Thanks!

I removed, disassembled, cleaned and reassembled the carb. I verified I had all the passages clear and that the correct jets/nozzles were clear and open.

After I complete the Lockman1 intake mod looks like I may need to adjust the choke knob/cable. To make it run properly, the choke knob must be pulled 1/4". (This may clear itself up after the intake mod is completed)

Thanks again to you both.

pcs
Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs View Post

Lockman1 - What is the gray material between the gray 1-1/4" elbow and clamps?

pcs
It's actually an 1 1/4" rubber, double clamp, drain pipe union, most ALL hardware and DIY centers have them in their plumbing section!
And I found the 1 1/4" female to female grey elbow in the plumbing/landscape irrigation area.

I didn't "glue" anything, (accept gasket sealer on the 1/4" nipple threads) flexablity is key, and it worked perfectly!

Here's my "Jury Rig" before I found out about the Briggs part:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002 - Copy (3).JPG (190.7 KB, 12 views)
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fe400
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car