lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
j-haynie
Not Yet Wild

Default My club car has a smoking problem!

I have a 2001 club car cary-all that has 3300 HRS on it. It burns oil at an alarming rate. It did not start this until the previous owner overfilled the oil when he changed it. I have a few questions. Is it possible that the oil rings are bad, or do these things eat valve guides. It runs great sometimes which leads to me next question. I am sometimes running out of fuel. I installed a new fuel pump, but it still will run out when i drive it for more than a mile or so. Can this be related to engine wear not pulsing the pump? How hard are these engines to rebuild? or is it more cost effective to just buy and install a new one. Sorry for the long post and i hope yall can give me some good guidance. I have learned alot from yall. I am just getting involved in cartes and am having a blast.
Thanks
j-haynie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2011, 06:39 PM   #2
a70eliminator
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: My club car has a smoking problem!

I don't see how overfilling with oil could cause any long term effect, residual oil would have burned off pretty quick, a compression test would eliminate the guess work. If I was going to do a rebuild I would find a donor motor that had more power.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #3
j-haynie
Not Yet Wild

I didn't see how it could have done any dammage either, but that is what he said happened to it. It runs good. it has good power until it runs out of fuel. I dont see compression being a problem. possible only the oil ring is stuck and the compressoion rings are ok?
Old 01-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #4
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-haynie View Post
I have a 2001 club car cary-all that has 3300 HRS on it. It burns oil at an alarming rate. It did not start this until the previous owner overfilled the oil when he changed it. I have a few questions. Is it possible that the oil rings are bad, or do these things eat valve guides. It runs great sometimes which leads to me next question. I am sometimes running out of fuel. I installed a new fuel pump, but it still will run out when i drive it for more than a mile or so. Can this be related to engine wear not pulsing the pump? How hard are these engines to rebuild? or is it more cost effective to just buy and install a new one. Sorry for the long post and i hope yall can give me some good guidance. I have learned alot from yall. I am just getting involved in cartes and am having a blast.
Thanks
SAY what , no way should U be using a tank of fuel in 1 mile
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #5
a70eliminator
Getting Wild
Club Car

The only I can think of is that your crankcase vent tube filled with oil and it now has oil trapped in it creating well..... a "trap" thus the pulses to the fuel pump are also buffered causing the fuel problem, try removing those hoses and see if they are clear of trapped oil.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
j-haynie
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
SAY what , no way should U be using a tank of fuel in 1 mile
No not using a tank, but it loses fuel in the filters. no natter where fuel level is. I checked the pick up tube and it is clear. I will check the hose and see if it is clear. Thanks for the ideas so far
Old 01-21-2011, 07:03 PM   #7
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

U would think the gas can only go one of 3 places , out the exaust (which U would smell), into the oil pan (which would fill up FAST), or on the ground (which U would see) ?????????
Old 01-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #8
a70eliminator
Getting Wild
Club Car

No he's not literally running out of gas his fuel pump is loosing prime, tank still has gas in it.
Old 01-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Dang , some things are just tooo obvious to mention I suppose , Thanks
Old 01-21-2011, 07:40 PM   #10
j-haynie
Not Yet Wild

yes there is still fuel in the tank. the filters are just sucked dry.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car