lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
blacktrain
Not Yet Wild

Default electric fuel pump wiring

greetings: I have a 1985 club car #AG8536 84849 I just purchased and it has an electric fuel pump. The pump won't pump fuel. I removed the pump and bench tested it and it works fine. The positive wire going to the fuel pump is coming from one of the small terminals on the solenoid. (doesn't seem right) When you press down on the gas pedal the starter/generator turns over but if you unplug the positive wire to the fuel pump then the starter/generator won't turn over. Where should the fuel pump pick it's power up from? I don't believe it should be from the solenoid. I appreciate anyone's help. Thanks...
blacktrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: electric fuel pump wiring

welcome, i think i would get a wiring diagram its only a 2 wire setup right? why not go back to the vaccume pump that should be there? otherwise i assume they put it on soleniod so it only comes on when you hit the pedal and feed power to it as for the starter not turning when its unhooked???? thats why the diagram wonder what else might be going on................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Welcome to BGW!
I had a 1990 CC that had this same pump... it ran off of the solenoid okay. There was fuel in the carb bowl to start the cart and then the pump started with the motor and refilled the bowl. It worked well this way.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Be careful with any changes to fuel pump wiring, you do NOT want the pump running at any other time than when the engine is running.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I agree with Shadowman that it would be best to return to the original vacuum pump but if you elect not to do so you might want to check that the vacuum line to the crankcase has been blocked off or you will effectively have a hole in the crankcase.

If you run with the electric pump then clearly you only want it running with the accelerator depressed, which is how it seems to be wired. However I am not impressed with it being powered from the small switched terminal. What is happening is that you are powering the solenoid AND the pump from the small microswitch on the throttle peddle and as the pump first kicks in it will present a short circuit to the switch. It would be electrically more correct to wire the pump to the switched large terminal on the solenoid which is designed to switch a large load. In addition you should probably check that your pump is not a high pressure device as in a EFI vehicle but rather a pump from a carburetted auto.
As to why the engine won't crank with the pump pulled I have no idea but the wiring is fairly simple and a circuit diagram should resolve that issue.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 PM   #6
blacktrain
Not Yet Wild

I appreciate everyone's help. I think it would be to my best interest to go back to a vacuum pump. Again, a big thank you to everyone...
Old 05-12-2011, 06:13 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrain View Post
I appreciate everyone's help. I think it would be to my best interest to go back to a vacuum pump. Again, a big thank you to everyone...
good move.................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 AM   #8
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktrain View Post
greetings: I have a 1985 club car #AG8536 84849 I just purchased and it has an electric fuel pump. The pump won't pump fuel. I removed the pump and bench tested it and it works fine. The positive wire going to the fuel pump is coming from one of the small terminals on the solenoid. (doesn't seem right) When you press down on the gas pedal the starter/generator turns over but if you unplug the positive wire to the fuel pump then the starter/generator won't turn over. Where should the fuel pump pick it's power up from? I don't believe it should be from the solenoid. I appreciate anyone's help. Thanks...
This will react this way if the fuel pump is picking up 12v power from the neg side of the solenoid.
Sounds like they have the solenoid and fuel pump running in series.
When you convert back to a pulse pump, you will need to remove the elec pump wire from solenoid and that post should run to ground.
Please test this with a meter first.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:44 PM   #9
blacktrain
Not Yet Wild

Thumbs up Re: electric fuel pump wiring

I have installed a pulse fuel pump and she purrrrr's like a kitten. I want to thank everyone again for all your help it was greatly appreciated. THANKS!!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

NO problem, I speak for the others when I say, Helping people is what we are here for. Except for Crash, he's mean
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car