lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #1
maria
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 ezgo texton

i have a 1987 ezgo textron electric 36 volt. batteries were checked with ohm (?) meter: good even frame showed 9 volts running through it. replaced selenoid. found broken wire end from the little box between batteries and motor: replaced end. worked fine for a few days only noticed each time pushed go pedal, could hear a sound like "zit" when stating off. then go pedal would stick (scary!)-husband sprayed with pb blaster-still stuck. was using cart and it would not go forward-reverse was fine for few 100 feet then stopped comepletely. please help retired and handicapped, used a lot.
maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #2
pggroves
steeplejack x

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1987 ezgo texton

Hi Maria and welcome.

First thing, check all your cables between the batteries, motor, and resistor coils. Make sure they are nice and clean with no corrosion.

The frame should not have voltage. Check that you don't have a cable rubbing against the frame somewhere. Sometimes the batteries can "leak" voltage to the frame through the battery rack. A good cleaning of the batteries and battery racks will solve it. The motor can also leak voltage to the frame but check the other two first...

Look here for a wiring diagram and layout wiring for your cart. Trace and confirm all connections. Make sure your replacement solenoid is rated for 36 volts and 200 amps or higher.

Good luck...and pics sure help everyone here help you.
pggroves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
maria
Not Yet Wild

i do have one battery that has a lot of corrosion (sp) on both post. will clean it and see happens. thanks for the reply and wiring diagrams.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your description of the throttle problem is classic speed wiper contact & board contact failure.
Have a look before the fire starts, lol. The 'pzit' sound is the sound of arc welding the movable contact mounted at the end of the throttle linkage to the stationary speed selection lugs.... hope that makes sense.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3298.jpg (164.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3301.jpg (107.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4888.jpg (167.0 KB, 30 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
maria
Not Yet Wild

thanks i will show my husband the pics and see if he can understand them. thanks for replying. also we are leaving to go camping today, sadly without the cart. i will post pics sometime later of what mine looks like. thanks again :)
Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
maria
Not Yet Wild

thanks scotty b for the pics. finally got my husband to look and ours is a lot worse than the ones in your pics. :) now i just have to find the replacement parts. any suggestions where to get these for the older carts?
Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
maria
Not Yet Wild

ok we have replaced all the parts, but....still getting the "pzit" and the arc welding. any suggestions?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There must be some mis-alignment of the movable contact and the stationary studs or a lack of positive pressure from the movable contact spring?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:29 AM   #9
maria
Not Yet Wild

yes, he said the "board" was crooked and he fixed that but it still arc welds. i will ask him about the moveable contact spring. he also said the coil spring (?) turned red hot instantly. he thinks he may have it wired wrong. the only way to stop the arc welding is to unhook the power even when the switch if off. thanks scotty. wish you were close by, we could just bring it to you :)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO