lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #1
htchbck
Not Yet Wild

Default '01 CarryAll2 key start, cutting spark when pedal is pressed

I'm the fleet mechanic for a state university, and I mostly deal with the trucks and vans used around campus, but every once in a while one of our half dozen golf carts needs more than a routine oil change. This particular cart is a 2001 CarryAll2 gas powered key start cart, and it starts as it should with the key. The trouble comes when you press the gas pedal. According to the way it worked when everything was functioning normally, you should not be able to rev it with it in neutral, but it should rev normally driving it while in forward or reverse. Currently, sometimes it will rev freely in neutral and drive fine while in gear, but sometimes it will cut the spark as soon as it starts revving whether you are in or out of gear. The problem is definitely a spark issue, you can install an inline spark tester and watch the light die completely as soon as the engine tries to rev. I've looked over everything I can, testing and bypassing microswitches, and nothing I do seems to make a difference. It seems completely random whether it will rev or not, I can try it and it won't rev, then walk away from it. Come back ten mins later and it revs like there is no tomorrow... Any input or guesses would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance :D
htchbck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: '01 CarryAll2 key start, cutting spark when pedal is pressed

i,m just taking a shot in the dark since i don,t know i have ever seen that particlur cart but if it has the coil/ignitor combo i would imagine it has to be the same weak link as it is on regular carts have you tried just disconnecting rev limitor to see if problem goes away? does that cart have maintence mode? yellow button on the F&R under seat? as i said i,m shooting in the dark because other then keystart i don,t know what else is different..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
htchbck
Not Yet Wild

Have tried maintenance mode, it doesn't seem to care either way, still does its spark cut, or not, depending on its mood. The keystart part is what is messing me up too, its the only key start cart we have so I don't even have a properly working cart that I can compare it to. I have not been able to locate a rev limiter on it, but maybe I'm not looking in the right place? Where is it located and what does it look like on a normal pedal start cart and I'll see if I can find it on this one. Noone seems to have any clue about the key starts, or even diagrams for them, I guess not many were made?
Old 08-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

rev limitor is a little black box with 1 or 2 wires located sorta under the carb below it mounted to front of engine......you have to look they arn,t big maybe 2 unches long by an inch or so wide something like that................let me know what you find..................
Old 08-16-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Here's a picture to follow up on shadowman's explanation!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:01 AM   #6
htchbck
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys! That was the problem, thanks lockman for that diagram I don't think I'd ever have found it without that, had to take off a heat shield/splash guard thingy to look under there for it. Ordered a new one today, I was going to just unplug it, since the cart is only driven by one of our employees and he always drives very slowly/carefully around campus anyway (he keeps it locked up with a chain when not in use). BUT... I realized that with it unplugged it does not shut off when you turn the key off, I guess the key switch cuts spark via that same box. At any rate, thanks for the help and saving me any further headaches with this machine, new part should be here on Monday and it will be back in business!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by htchbck View Post
Thanks guys! That was the problem, thanks lockman for that diagram I don't think I'd ever have found it without that, had to take off a heat shield/splash guard thingy to look under there for it. Ordered a new one today, I was going to just unplug it, since the cart is only driven by one of our employees and he always drives very slowly/carefully around campus anyway (he keeps it locked up with a chain when not in use). BUT... I realized that with it unplugged it does not shut off when you turn the key off, I guess the key switch cuts spark via that same box. At any rate, thanks for the help and saving me any further headaches with this machine, new part should be here on Monday and it will be back in business!
thanks don, well gald to hear i guessed right..........lolol..............yeah fix it right you,ll be better off...................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car