lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 PM   #21
rib33024

Default Re: Stray Ground

when is the last time you washed your batteries with baking soda and water to get all the acid off everything??, the splatter from charging the batteries, with the acid on the batteries, and the batteries touching the frame will cause this, if the batteries are not clean
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #22
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinch View Post
it's melted to the shaft with a rubber seal it could have easily worn through. but again it's not electrically connected to anything on the cart. the wires from the turn signals, lights and horn all lead to both positive and negative terminal blocks that are isolated electrically from vehicle. Both positive and negative power sources to the terminal blocks have been disconnected.
There are more then 4 wires inside that switch, are they part of a harness that might have another wire that is still connected to a + or - source? and all I can say is that is where my ground turned out to be when I was testing my cart. If you are not using it why not remove it from the column.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:38 PM   #23
Grinch
Getting Wild

Club Car

Batteries cleaned 3 days ago. The only circuits on the cart are motor (vglide), charger and the voltage reducer. Everything that has power comes off the terminal bars (fused) that get 12v from the reducer and the reducer is no longer connected. I think I'm down to either batteries causing induction or a short in the motor. The guys at plum quick say it could be from the field. Tomorrow I will take the batteries all out, connect them in series on the ground and use a set of 4g jumper cables to power up the cart again.
Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #24
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Batteries cleaned 3 days ago. The only circuits on the cart are motor (vglide), charger and the voltage reducer. Everything that has power comes off the terminal bars (fused) that get 12v from the reducer and the reducer is no longer connected. I think I'm down to either batteries causing induction or a short in the motor. The guys at plum quick say it could be from the field. Tomorrow I will take the batteries all out, connect them in series on the ground and use a set of 4g jumper cables to power up the cart again.
If that's what you believe then why not just remove the battery and field leads to the motor then test before removing the batt's. If that is the problem you just saved your back.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #25
Grinch
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
If that's what you believe then why not just remove the battery and field leads to the motor then test before removing the batt's. If that is the problem you just saved your back.
That would be easier except I'm not that smart. I don't know quite how to test it. Help me out, I have 4 wires running to the motor. Which do I pull and what is the test? I can figure out which one leads to the battery, but not sure what to do next. Someone suggested pulling the wire to the negative battery terminal and testing the continuity from the center of that terminal to the case of the motor?

Last edited by Grinch; 01-29-2013 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: iPad spell check failure
Old 01-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
Grinch
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubabud View Post
There are more then 4 wires inside that switch, are they part of a harness that might have another wire that is still connected to a + or - source? and all I can say is that is where my ground turned out to be when I was testing my cart. If you are not using it why not remove it from the column.
I have it disconnected now only to diagnose the voltage source. I'll connect it again when done. I need it for on street use.

Last edited by Grinch; 01-29-2013 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: iPad autocorrect error
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #27
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
That would be easier except I'm not that smart. I don't know quite how to test it. Help me out, I have 4 wires running to the motor. Which do I pull and what is the test? I can figure out which one leads to the battery, but not sure what to do next. Someone suggested pulling the wire to the negative battery terminal and testing the continuity from the center of that terminal to the case of the motor?
If you have been in contact with Plum Quick, ask them for their solution to test your motor, etc. before trying anything else. They'll walk you through it!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #28
Melonbuster
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

Just unhook all 4 and see if problem goes away. Besure to label them and not let them touch each other or anything else. If it goes away its the motor. If it doesn't it's something else.
Melonbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #29
scubabud

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonbuster View Post
Just unhook all 4 and see if problem goes away. Besure to label them and not let them touch each other or anything else. If it goes away its the motor. If it doesn't it's something else.
A bit of caution on two counts before you attempt this. First remove the main Positive cable from your pack, then the Negative cable from your pack before you remove the other leads off the motor. Also make sure you use 2 wrenches on the motor lugs, one to hold the retaining nut so it doesn't twist and the other to remove the top nut off of each motor cable. Label and cover the cables first before you re-attach the main Pos and Neg cables to your pack. Plumquick has a sequence for this as well.
Old 04-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #30
glowsnyder
Not Yet Wild

Im getting +17.5 volts from the frame to the battery ground. Took off every wire from the battery pack + and ended up taking every wire off the battery negative post - still 17.5 volts. The only think I can conclude is there is stray voltage from the battery pack. Going to clean all the batteries off and if that doesn't work, forget about it. Amperage doesn't seem appreciable or even present.
glowsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car