lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #1
Billygoat
Not Yet Wild

Default DOT approved windshield question????

I am trying to get my Club Car cart street legal and registered here in Florida. Since it was not street legal from the factory, it seems there are quite a few hoops to jump through in the process, installing all the street legal stuff, getting it weighed and inspected, paying all kinds of fees etc. etc. Does anyone know for sure what the requirements are for a LSV DOT approved windshield are? Can it be two piece and can it be tinted? I have called a few dealers and nobody seems to have the same answer.
Billygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #2
BumbleBee
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: DOT approved windshield question????

Not sure in Fl but in KY if you call the local PD they should be able to tell you what will fly and what won't. I have had better luck with that than calling the DOT. Just a thought.

Arin.
BumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Billygoat
Not Yet Wild

I have actually asked a couple local officers that come into the shop here but they didn't seem to know, I think as long as the carts have a tag, they are not concerned about the details. Getting the tag is my issue right now, got to have all the details correct. I think I would rather have a tooth pulled than try to call DOT....lol
Old 05-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

STATE OF FLORIDA
DIVISION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
BUREAU OF FIELD OPERATIONS

AFFIDAVIT FOR GOLF CART MODIFIED TO A LOW SPEED VEHICLE

Florida Assigned FLA VIN: _______________________

The undersigned hereby certifies that the modified golf cart to a low speed vehicle conforms to
Federal Regulations under Title CFR Part 571.500 and 316.2126, Florida Statutes, including but
not limited to the following:

● Headlamps
● Stop lamps
● Tail lamps
● Front and rear turn signal lamps
● Windshield with a AS1 or AS5 composition
● Type 1 or Type 2 seat belt assembly conforming to section 571.209 of this part, Federal
Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 209, Seat belt assemblies at each designated seating
position
● An exterior mirror mounted on the driver's side of the vehicle and either an exterior mirror
mounted on the passenger's side of the vehicle or an interior mirror
● Parking Brakes
● Reflex reflectors: one red on each side as far to the rear as practicable, and one red on the
rear
● Windshield cleaning device pursuant to 316.2952(3)(4), Florida Statutes
● Horn pursuant to 316.271(1), Florida Statutes
● Slow Moving Vehicle Emblem (SMV) pursuant to 316.2225(7)(a)(b), Florida Statutes
● Top speed is greater than 20 MPH but not greater than 25 MPH pursuant to 320.01(42),
Florida Statutes
● Requirement of a weight slip
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
Billygoat
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for that, nice to have a complete checklist. Have you taken a cart through the process in Florida?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Billygoat
Not Yet Wild

Can someone who has a DOT rated windshield please take a picture of what is etched or engraved on the windshield itself, I now see AS-4 and AS-5, anyone know what the difference is?
Old 05-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
nobogez42
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat View Post
Thank you for that, nice to have a complete checklist. Have you taken a cart through the process in Florida?
I did not go through the process in FL. I had a person at the DOT tell me since I was not a permanent resident, I could not have it tagged in FL. I got mine tagged in AL and keep it in FL for 1/2 of the year. I have since had another DOT person in FL tell me that I can get it tagged there. Who knows?
nobogez42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
Bert18
Getting Wild

Club Car

My friend got his cart approved by the DOT office in Maragate, Fl. with a standard golf cart 2 piece windsheild
Bert18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #9
Billygoat
Not Yet Wild

That is where I will be going, just got off the phone with them and have the paperwork being mailed out to me. I have everything done on the cart except for the windshield. Hopefully ebI have an acrylic windshield of the correct thickness, but it is not marked. I have access to a lazer etch machine and would like to etch the correct markings on the windshield just to be safe. If someone has the latest AS-5 markings on their windshield, please take a quick photo for me please. Do you know where your friend got his cart weighed?
Old 05-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
flharleycop
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billygoat View Post
I am trying to get my Club Car cart street legal and registered here in Florida. Since it was not street legal from the factory, it seems there are quite a few hoops to jump through in the process, installing all the street legal stuff, getting it weighed and inspected, paying all kinds of fees etc. etc. Does anyone know for sure what the requirements are for a LSV DOT approved windshield are? Can it be two piece and can it be tinted? I have called a few dealers and nobody seems to have the same answer.
in Florida it cannot be tinted but it can be the fold down type as long as it is stamped with the approval and it states the approval on the receipt also. You then have to add a wiper which a hand one will do.
flharleycop is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car