lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
TexasDave
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Starting Advice

First off thank you all for the help you have given me directly and indirectly through posting on this site. You have been a great help, not to mention BGW.

I reach out once again for direction, I recently purchased a 1996 EZGO Medalist that had bad batteries, beat up body and 3 great tires. I purchased with the intent of upgrading to an awesome hunting/neighborhood cart. Lift, tires wheels, color, flip down seat etc. etc.

Cart cost - $300
Used Batt - $150
Cable ends - $30 used old welding leads for new batt cables.

Total investment so far is $480

My local EZGO shop guy suggested selling it immediatelty for what I can get and starting with a better beginning point. Post 2002. I would think I could get my investment out of it since now it runs and has decent batteries.

My question is...

Should I keep it and upgrade/fix up over time? Or start with a better (more upgradeable) cart?
TexasDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-06-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Starting Advice

Dave, lets ask a few questions first....

Do you like working on stuff? as in building your own cart? seeing as how you are thinking about making your own cables, I would like to think the answer would be YES.

we know its a Medalist/TXT, which dirve system is it?? here is a link so you can tell us which you have.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...en-system.html

Seeing as how your cart is actually of the newer generation of carts, most of the parts available are for carts from "'96' and up" so most are compatible.

so with that little bit of info.....if it were me.....the challange would be ON, and the fun of building your own cart and the pride of doing it yourself is just starting.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
TexasDave
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Searies, no run tow switch. There is a whine in the rear end or motor, typical?

I love working on stuff. But want to be smart about it. The local ezgo guy said the newer ones are easire to upgrade. But i am ok with doing it over time. He also said lifts do not do well on these carts. From what I have learned the carts are really similar to the new ones. So why would that be an issue? I think he may be trying to sell me a cart.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Dave, there are two different set ups for the front suspensions, one is sturdier that the other, however, both can be lifted.

Look at your steering column, where it bolts to the floor. is there 3 bolts, or 4.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #5
Peachfuz
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

TexasDave, you and I sound alike.
I too just bought a 95 EZGO txt Medalist. I have taken the body apart and painted it. I did not take it completely apart due to an anxious wife and 4year old wanting it at the campground. But I have it drivable, with some minor steering slippage.

Happy building!!!!
Peachfuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #6
TexasDave
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

3 bolts on the column
Old 08-06-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDave View Post
3 bolts on the column
you have the older style front suspension, that's all. actually its not the suspension that's different, its the steering mechanism is called FRAME MOUNTED, the newer style is AXLE MOUNTED. the actual suspension is the same.

To lift your cart, you have two options. Either a Drop Axle or a Spindle lift. considering the type of front suspension and steering you have, I personally would opt for a Spindle lift. just "food for thought"
Old 08-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Dela
EZ come EZ go

Club Car

Keep it! Sounds like the dealer is looking to make a lil profit in your work and trade in. The Medalist is a great cart, not much of a weight difference, and I personally like the metal body better, however you can easily put a TXT plastic body on it.

Not much you can do to a TXT that you can't do to a Medalist. Plus it looks different with the front "bumper".

I vote keep it... all in favor say "I"

the I's have it.
Dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
TexasDave
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Awesome! Thank you all.

I completely understand the family "needing" access to the cart.

Speaking of the metal body and "bumper" Mine is missing and the front Metal cowl is banged up beyond repair.

Do I have to go junk yarding for these? Or does some place sell these?

I like the old bumper too.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #10
TexasDave
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Might need a new thread here, but hey it is still advice.

Any issues with upgrading my F/R Switch before my motor, controller, solenoid?

I want to keep it in use while upgrading. And since my reverse is out I plan on starting there.

Tags
lift, medalist, motor size, tires, upgrade
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO