lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: charging while driving

I was refering to EZGOs "exceed" model with a briggs generator in the bagwell. I do not know what charger Richard is using. We (the ezgo dealer i am employed by) have an ezgo exceed hybrid, and i have done some testing on it. I feel that the "exceed" has somewhat of a "cobbled together" feel to it. What golfer wants to run around the course with a noisey generator running. Or who wants to announce their presense while hunting. Wish ezgo had went with a more refined honda generator.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I knew you were referring to the Exceed.
I was just commenting on the loudness of the Briggs generator and low Amps you mentioned and speculating a bit about using an old style charger and a Honda generator.

Hopefully I didn't offend, I didn't mean to.
--------------

Putting together something like Richard did was something I had given some thought to a while back, using an inverter output type generator and the PW-II charger that I got with my cart, but didn't want to fill up the bagwell and went a different route to get the additional range I wanted.

If I was about 40 years younger and a whole lot richer, I might consider removing the inverter stage from of a Honda generator and replacing it with a microprocessor controlled SCR output stage from a DPI charger and eliminate the inefficiencies of inverting to 120VAC and then converting it to 36VDC, or whatever the pack voltage is.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
eflyguy
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

How much more battery, and hence overall capacity, could you carry for the weight of that generator and fuel? That's the reason I went to 42V - not speed, some power, but mostly more run-time.
..a
eflyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I think the use of the Honda generator is a great idea. Actually a few years ago I was fortunate enough to go on a Wy. Antelope hunt. I'm disabled and here in Pa. I count on my EZ-GO as my "legs" to get me everywhere. I hunt year round as that's what I can do. I have some mobility and can walk about 100 to 150 yards....but then....I have to remember that I always have to walk back....which at times can be the tough part.

However, In Wy. there are about a billion off road trails that you can take a vehicle on to hunt. The only "issue" is with an electric cart, it's so vast that you will run out of juice before you run out of country. So, the Honda generator absolutely entered my head when I was out there.

With my current set-up of 8-6V Trojan batteries, a constant charge from a generator would be a great Wy. hunting set up. The winds always seem to be blowing hard enough to drown out a quiet enough motor, plus there would be times when I could simply shut down the generator and have at least a 10 to 12 mile flat running distance on batt's alone.

The cart could handle two hunters, a 2.5 gallon gas can, a small cooler for food and soft drinks, honda generator, and your off!!! It would also handle the dead weight of any antelope or mule deer that was taken!!!

These carts are a great invention!!!

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
crash test dummy

ok .. one of my dumb questions
if you are using the generator to charge the batteries while driving,ie adding over 38v
can you just by pass the batteries and drive on the generator ?
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Comparing the size of charging cables vs. normal battery cables, I's say no. I'm also not sure if you could drive while charging, unless the charger is current limited.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

During times of low amp draw, it would be running off the generator. But 21a is not much to work with for accelerating and hill climbing. The benefit is that it would be constantly "feeding" the system. Imagine moving water through a garden hose, its a stream about the size of a dime, but it can fill a swimming pool.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
ok .. one of my dumb questions
if you are using the generator to charge the batteries while driving,ie adding over 38v
can you just by pass the batteries and drive on the generator ?
That generator would never be able to supply the amount of current needed to drive the cart alone with no batteries. I tried connecting an automotive amp gauge in series with my B+ lead and just starting to move the cart took 50amps! The gauge's limit is 60amps, so I didn't want to push it! The idea to be able to charge from a generator is great, though. I'm in no way knocking that! You would never be stuck with dead batteries! It will just take awhile to charge.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #19
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In addition to what yurtle and cgtech and simple man said, it boils down to supply vs demand.
A typical golf cart draws from 50 to 75 Amps while cruising on level ground and far more while climbing hills or accelerating.
The typical golf cart battery charger puts out about 20A. Do the math.

However, to answer your question: Yes, if you had a big enough generator, powered by a big enough engine, you could eliminate the battery.
IE: The Diesel engines in train locomotives drive generators and electric motors drive the wheels.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #20
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I don't think the cart's big enough!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO