lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #21
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo series Alltrax SPM 48500 question/problem

seeing as are using a stock motor, and you are getting more amps to the motor at take off, as you have seem......the fact that you have a series cart, won't gain you any speed, only an aftermarket motor or having your built by someone like Plum Quick will do that.

there must be a bottle neck in the high current loop somewhere.
Sir Nuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #22
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You should see a difference in torque going from 275 amp controller to 500 amps. This should reduce slowing on the hills.
Given a direct connection ( no controller) the motor would draw 100% of the available amperage (the battery pack) until it went up in smoke.
The main function of the controller is to limit the maximum amount of amperage the motor can access and to regulate speed by controlling this flow.

The controller does not send amperage. It allows the flow. If you have a restriction in the high amperage delivery to the motor the controller is not going to change that.

Tell us some more about the cart and its components, tires. Size and age of the cable set and rating and age of the F&R. These things can restrict low.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #23
Taylor1595
Not Yet Wild

6 inch lift 22 inch tires, flip back seat, with all the upgrades I got from you last week ( controller, solenoid and f/r ) and 2 month old batteries and 2 month old 4 g cables throughout. I know 2 g are recommended and plan on that in the future. I'm gonna look at all connections for any damage I guess to make sure.
Taylor1595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:17 AM   #24
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor1595 View Post
The spm shows continuous readout on the laptop. I watched really close and flooring it from stopped it spikes to about 300 amps for a fraction of a second.
I deal with industrial automation (used to before I retired), and refresh rate is a common term. I don't care if your computer looks like it has continuous readout, there "may" be a refresh rate setting that is not maximized.

This all boils down to data-logging and storage requirements, as well as other factors.

In any event, 300 amps spike doesn't sound too crazy. I have an onboard ammeter and usually run under 100 amps.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #25
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The controller does not send amperage. It allows the flow. If you have a restriction in the high amperage delivery to the motor the controller is not going to change that.
Well said. A motor "asks" for amperage, you can't "pump" it. Voltage is delivered. Amperage is asked for.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #26
Taylor1595
Not Yet Wild

A couple of the cable lugs connecting to the controller are crimped pretty flat. Would this make a difference and restrict flow?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #27
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Try driving pretty aggressively and see if they get hot.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #28
Taylor1595
Not Yet Wild

Replaced the flattened lugs and drove 4 miles at WOT and maybe a little better and snappier on the flat but still lugs down to 9 mph on the hill. Felt of all the connections and they weren't even warm then felt of the motor and it is hot to the points it's uncomfortable to keep your palm on it for very long.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #29
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor1595 View Post
Replaced the flattened lugs and drove 4 miles at WOT and maybe a little better and snappier on the flat but still lugs down to 9 mph on the hill. Felt of all the connections and they weren't even warm then felt of the motor and it is hot to the points it's uncomfortable to keep your palm on it for very long.
seeing as how you could keep you palm on it...even if it were uncomfortable, your motor wasn't hot.....at least by motor standards.
Sir Nuke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:43 PM   #30
Taylor1595
Not Yet Wild

Ok. That's good to know. Any other suggestions on why I still have no more umph going up the hill than I did stock? I'd be curious to know if anyone else has a 500 amp controller on a stock motor 36 volt series cart and what kind of performance gains they had.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO