lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
punkrockezgo
Not Yet Wild

Default 1996 EZGO 36 Volt TXT DCS only goes in revrese

I have a 1996 36 Volt EZGO TXT that has the control by the right knee,I believe its a DSC cart. The problem I am having is it only goes in reverse, when I first go it back up to the barn I put it in forward then and press the pedal, the solenoid clicked and then the short wire that conects the controler to the solenoid on the passenger side of the solenoid heated up and almost burnt off. I replaced the burnt wire tonight and it still goes in reverse fine but when I switch it to forward it kind of wants to go but there is something holding it back. The solenoid clicks and then you can feel and hear it try to go but very very weak, just tries to move but does not. Could this be the F/R switch? The micro switch? It goes inrevrse fine and nothing heats up, It did not feel like the wire I replaced was heating up after I replaced it as well.
punkrockezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1996 EZGO 36 Volt TXT DCS only goes in revrese

If it has a Run/Tow switch on the controller cover it is a DCS.

The difference between Forward and Reverse in a DCS cart, is the direction of current flow through the Field windings and the switching is done inside the controller, so it sounds like you have a bad controller.

A DCS controller had an inherent weakness (no under volt protection), so replace it with an aftermarket controller like an Alltrax DCX400.

That will give you a cart that will run about 20 MPH and have a lot of torque.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
punkrockezgo
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info, I was worried it was going to be a controller but I saw on other post that a switch could be to blame but something the inexpensive couldn't be my luck. I use mine more for towing and farm work, would the control you mentioned be good for that , seems like that would be more for speed not torque I do I have that wrong?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

You will get more torque, which in turn results in more speed.
The stock DCS controller is a 300A unit and the DCX is a 400A unit, which ups the torque by about 33% at the low end and increases it to a lesser extent at the upper end also. Increased high end torque means the the motor will reach a higher RPM before the dynamic load matches the available torque.

Of course, to obtain the maximum available torque, the high current cables and solenoid have to be capable of delivering the amps to the motor and the battery pack has to be able to produce it.

Scotty at Carts Unlimited has a pretty good explanation of things to take into consideration.
Check out the #505DCS and #606DCS kits about halfway down the page.
http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Custom_Options.html

While on the site, read everything with the word "Battery" in the title. Tons of good info.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #5
punkrockezgo
Not Yet Wild

thanks for the info. check it out now

Tags
36 volt, dsc, ezgo, revrese, txt
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO