lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
RebelStryker
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Power usage is now to fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernal View Post
I think that is entirely possible. I believe I have experienced that phenomenon myself. Summers here in the Atlanta area are long and hot. Many people like myself use these carts daily in our little city, traveling the same routes over and over. We become aware of landmarks where when we pass we expect the SOC meter to drop a bar ( or whatever type SOC is used ). We also notice if the bar drops before we get there or after. I can gage if I'm getting better range that day or worse and can usually correlate it to an obvious cause. IE: "got my foot in it that day" or " 3 passengers instead of just myself". As the weather cools in the fall, temp related range reduction is very gradual at first because most of the carts are garaged at night and probably charging so the batteries retain a lot of the heat. But as time passes and the weather cools faster and people use the carts less, the batteries cool to equal the ambient temp rapidly. So one day you jump on the cart and notice a big drop in range and of course the first thing that comes to mind is the batteries are giving up. I think this phenomenon tricked me into changing a set a batteries a year or maybe two early once. I believe the situation is aggravated because we are getting longer than normal ranges for 2-3 months in the summer so the range drop that catches up to everybody in about November looks severe (scary).

These are my thoughts based on running two carts for about 13 years coupled with my battery research and the wealth of knowledge on this forum.
+1 on all the above. I live just east of Atlanta and am experiencing this now. I panicked when it cooled off and my RXV starting getting low mileage. I have been researching and testing every way that I can find and have come to the conclusion that my issues are completely related to the cold.
RebelStryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just east of Atl huh.. May want to check and make sure you new FnR contactor is dropping out when you take your foot off the pedal or at least when the key off. Not saying it is wrong now but it is something different than when your getting longer distances. It doesn't pull much but it is a load.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:18 AM   #13
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelStryker View Post
+1 on all the above. I live just east of Atlanta and am experiencing this now. I panicked when it cooled off and my RXV starting getting low mileage. I have been researching and testing every way that I can find and have come to the conclusion that my issues are completely related to the cold.
The insidious part of this is the fact the battery voltage doesn't change (much) when the temperature drops.
Basically, the AH capacity of the battery is all that decreases.

Load testing will show it, and that is exactly what we are doing when we drive our carts and compare the range (Run-Time)

Dave's 225AH batteries only have about 158AH storage capacity at 18°, but will still read nearly 6.37V each when fully charged.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If I read everything correctly, you were getting about 12 miles on fully charged batteries at 78°F.
Now you get about 6 mile at 18°F from batteries that showed 3/4 charge on the SoC meter.

If so, the 3/4 charge alone would reduce the range to 9 miles and the 60° drop in temperature would drop that by another 30%, so 6 miles is in the ballpark mathematically.

On fully charged batteries, your range ought to be around 8.5 miles at 18°.

DING DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!!!!

Actually JohnnieB hit the nail on the tin-foil head. He's right on the money….which believe me, is quite a relief. When you look at my OP, I said I went about 5 miles, 6 at the maximum. So, knowing I had 1\4 of a charge left, and "knowing" my cart….I probably could have driven it (where I was) another 3 or 4 miles…..perhaps with some logistically placed mild downhills, even as much as 7 miles. (Assuming I wouldn't have to come back up to "home" )

So, now learning from the school of hard knocks, it's all about the temps!! And if you re-peek at my second post concerning the temp's, I did say that I parked my cart (I had no other choice) outside on Monday nite and I'm certain the temps got into the teens that nite. So, I began the day with the entire cart….all lube'd bearings and such, nice and cold and tougher to turn.

BTW, I live just east of Pittsburgh Pa. where in the summer we have been know to have a week or more of 85+ in the summer, and also have nights of near zero for a week or more with daytime highs never breaking the 20's.

I was hunting in Clearfield County Pa., where cold is cold, black bears abound…..but at this time of year, they are in hibernation (usually) because it's COLD!!!

I thank you for your help. Honestly, now I know there is nothing wrong with my cart. I wonder if there is anything that can really be done to boost the battery performance in such cold temp's?

Dave
DaveTM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Ok fellows……one more question…..when I come back in from a morning hunt to "thaw out" and get a bowl of crock pot soup (this guy made some fantastic pheasant soup!!!) will it harm the battery life if I re-connect the charger for 1 to 1.5 hours?

Thanks again!!

Dave
Old 12-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #16
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Charge away, Dave. That is called opportunity charging, and it is better than not doing it.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:50 AM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Opportunity charging is a carters best friend. Charge when you can. The initial charge phase is the bulk replenishment of amperage, you actually get about 80% recharged in 1 hour.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

For max battery life and performance, keep the batteries as fully charged as possible and practical.
That means recharging after each use.

Giving the pack a half an hour or more booster charge before heading out on a cold morning would help the range some. (Charging warms the electrolyte and plates.)

Anything you can do to keep the batteries warmer during the night will help.

When I lived in a colder climate (Michigan), I wrapped a thermostatically controlled Pipe Warmer cable around my car battery and I had plenty of cranking amps even on the coldest mornings.

If all eight of your batteries are under the seat, three or four 25W bulbs in a flat box about the size of the seat that will slide under the cart, will keep the batteries from getting as cold.

Cart batteries have a significant thermal mass, so the temperature of the electrolyte and plates lags the temperature of the air surrounding the batteries by several hours, so the trick is to not let them get cold.

They will start acclimating with the ambient temperature the moment the heat source is removed, but during the day the temperature doesn't typically get as cold as it does during the night, so you are ahead of the temperature lag rather than behind it.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:33 AM   #19
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Acclimating? Oh man….big words now!!! Well, up in Clearfield there are no women named "Bootsie, Bambie, nor Starlight" that you can pay $20 an hour to keep your batteries warm. (Hey now…..I mean your cart batteries!!!)

Thanks for the info on the "one hour charge." I will use that in the future. Also, I never thought of the lightbulb (aka trouble light). Heck…I use to do that way back in the day on a few late '60's chevy's that would give me winter starting fits!!! I forgot all about that!!

I wonder about a good old electric blanket that I could just wrap the two rear battery's up at night (when I find myself in this situation again) to keep 'em from the wind and keep 'em warm. I know that may sound a bit crazy…..but you know…..15 degrees is really darn cold….and with a ten to twenty mph wind….it's even colder yet!!!

For me….I have a Golf-Cat propane heater…..a Gerbling heated vest that is under my main coat and a pair of Gerbling heated socks with their big battery that has a waist band holder. On low these Gerbling products will heat your feet and chest\back all day long. A little pricy…but I've had 'em for three years now and wear 'em at least 3 times a week from November to March and have not had one issue with 'em. The guy who developed them originally did so because he loved to ride his motorcycle in the fall with his wife on the back, but his wife always complained about being cold. So….a great product was born from that. If you get cold but like being outdoors….google Gerbling and you will love their stuff. That's from a very happy customer!!

Well, again….thanks guys. This forum is a wealth of info for both quality products and information!! (I still think ScottyB needs to produce a line of those tin-foil hats though!!)

Dave

PS---JohnieB lives just south of me in West Virginia. I Don't know what part….but I've driven thru his state many times. (Where 98% of Federal Highway monies have been spent until that Senator finally croaked at 95?) But, politics aside, JohnieB knows what mountains are like. W. Virginia has mountains that make Pa. mountains look like play hills!!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #20
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

[QUOTE=DaveTM;965035Also, I never thought of the lightbulb (aka trouble light). Heck…I use to do that way back in the day on a few late '60's chevy's that would give me winter starting fits!!! I forgot all about that!![/QUOTE]

FWIW, It has to be an incandescent bulb. Fluorescents don't do the job.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO