lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2014, 09:53 AM   #11
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 8 6v under seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great white north View Post
I was more thinking of keeping the battery cable length as short as possible
For battery pack , ( more efficient that way ) , I thought the physical size of a 12 volt might be a little larger then the 6 volt , (prob . Wrong on that )
However both ways work just fine , , with just the one 12 volt in bag well I still have some room to put things for storage
I think my longest cable is 24 inches long. The flip seat takes care of my storage issues.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
Olman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am not trying to get in argument about what is the best way to mount 2 extra batteries. I read the writeups about how you guys moved and adapted the F/R or bought the contactor setup. I read about moving the controller back and redrilling the frame or relocating it next to the motor. I had just redone my wiring and fitting the 1206 controller and that big solenoid in. I just didn't feel like reinventing the wheel to get 2 batteries under the seat. Which ever way you did it is cool. I just couldn't justify all that work. It's all good.
Olman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
Great white north
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

No worries all is good
Great white north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 AM   #14
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Olman for the site on the batt. box, I might check on getting one of those. Right now I've got my aux. batt. under the seat. I'll probably just keep it there.
Yea Great white north, I've got a DCX400. I can see your point on keeping cables short as possible. I know next time I need batt.'s I'm getting 6 8v's. Well thanks alot guys for all your help on this.
kojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #15
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm not a fan of putting 120 lbs worth of two 6v batteries in the bag well BEHIND the rear axle. This only makes weight distribution even worse then it always is, especially if you have a rear seat.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #16
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sportcoupe I'm kinda the same way on the weight issue. But most of the time it's either me or maybe one more. Sometimes though I may have one on back.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #17
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm basically lazy, so I only added one 6V battery in the space in front of the rear wheel on the driver's side for a 42V system.

However, if I decided to up the pack to 48V and keep all eight 6V batteries under the seat, I'll relocated the solenoid and controller, which is fairly easy to do with a DCX controller in a PDS cart, then use the space in front of the passenger side rear wheel for the eighth 6V battery.

I'd attach the controller to a heatsink made of 3/8" aluminum plate at least 10"x10" (100 Sq. In. area minimum - more is better) and mount it near the motor. A cable or two will be too short and a couple would be too long, but Scotty will build any length I need. The nine control wires to the DCX can be extended just by added wire to the middle of them.

It is a bit more complicated with a series cart, but by replacing the mechanical F/R switch with a reversing contactor, it can be done about the same way.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #18
kojo
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

JohnnieB. I've never thought about completely relocating the controller. That wouldn't be a bad idea. You'd definitely have enough room for an extra battery then.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:23 PM   #19
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Why go through the trouble of relocating controller? Just move it back as far as you can, no extra high current cables and no extending controller wires.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:39 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

There are obviously a lot of ways to skin this cat and no absolute correct way. I relocated the control / solenoid and modified the F&R to fit and connect to the modified linkage. I do not suggest this way but, I was out to prove Western cart design wrong.

I second the suggestion that added weight is a drawback in an electric cart. More weight takes more amperage to move... more brakes to stop. The difference in weight between 6/8v and 8/6v is easily equal to a passenger. ( so is the rear seat) So rear seat and 8/v batteries = 3 people on the cart at all times.....this is gonna cost ya performance wise.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO