lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #1
gbeach
Not Yet Wild

Default powerwise charger not coming on

have a 36 v powerwise charger not coming on. batteries only 1 year old. took charger apart, fuse ok, wiring ok, replaced the relay that is suppose to come on, still nothing. I can get it to come on when I bypass the relay by shorting the two wires on it. so now I am looking at the little control board. have not taken it apart yet, but I have full access to all the electronics parts on it. has anyone found anything go bad on it. doesn't look like much is on it. also what battery voltage level do i need for it to come on. It did sit all winter outside without charging.
gbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: powerwise charger not coming on

The battery pack has to be about 30V to get the charger to turn on.

You can charge the 6V batteries in pairs with a 12V charger to get them up enough to turn the PW charger on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Battery Wiring - TXT and Medalist -12V charger.JPG (36.2 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 08:54 AM   #3
gbeach
Not Yet Wild

I was hoping you answered, I was actually reading one of your replies in 2011 about the charger. do you know of any failures on the charger control board. Thanks never even thought about charging in pairs, don't have a 6 volt charger.
I am going to check the voltage tonight.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeach View Post
I was hoping you answered, I was actually reading one of your replies in 2011 about the charger. do you know of any failures on the charger control board. Thanks never even thought about charging in pairs, don't have a 6 volt charger.
I am going to check the voltage tonight.
Don't know how to fix a control board (No schematic available), but the are fairly easy to check.

Without plugging the charger into AC power, plug it into the cart.
You should hear the relay on the control board click. (If the pack voltage is high enough and the Battery sense circuit is in good working order.)

If the relay clicks, plug the charger into AC power and ammeter should jump to 15-20 amps and the battery voltage will start to climb.
After it reaches about 42V, the amps will start tapering off.

When the On-Charge voltage reaches about 45V, the control board will open the relay, shutting off charger.

The control board only does three things.
1. Turns on charger
2. Turns off charger when the On-Charge voltage reach about 45V
3. Turns off charge in about 16 hours if the On-Charge voltage doesn't reach about 45V.

All the battery charging stuff is done by the ferroresonant transformer and capacitor.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #5
gbeach
Not Yet Wild

yeh, it's not clicking at all. I have to check my battery voltage first. I just assumed the charger was bad. should have checked the batteries first.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO