lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #11
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Pds steep hill mode

The PDS controller limits speed by limiting motor rpm. There is a speed sensor on the end of the motor with 3 wires. If you had stock tires you would indeed be going 13 mph. By up-sizing the tires you increased circumference therefore increasing distance traveled in one tire revolution. The motor is still limited to the same rpm but you are traveling further, hence the increase in mph.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOver View Post
I'm gonna run her till she smokes
Well the way i look at it is, the stock controller is in working order, not what you need for your set up, you could sell the stock controller to some one that need a stock controller that has a stock cart and get 100 to 150 dollars and put that money in to buying a 400 amp controller that you need for your cart, That's what i would do, but i guess you have so much money that you can just wad up 100 dollar bills and through them in the trash because that's what your doing when you - Smoke that thing have fun with it
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:31 PM   #13
GameOver
Not Yet Wild

We'll you do have a point, but I've gotten two years of use out of it so $50 a year risk I can deal with. If I get two more years I will have gotten even more value out of it. I'm a gambling man, I wadded up more than that and threw it at the broncos, and we all know how that turned out for me.
GameOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #14
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I didn't notice much difference except I can feel it trying to limit the speed, but it is still going about its normal max speed anyway. So in theory the controller is trying to reach a certain current output in relation to speed. So with the larger tires when it thinks I'm at 13 mph I'm really at about 17. I imagine it is using the same principal as the vfd drives I'm used to at work.
The speed is the same in All Terrain and Steep Hill modes, the difference is the former has no regen braking, the latter does.

There is a speed sensor attached to the motor that feeds the controller RPM information and the controller reduces the duty cycle of the PWM (Pulse Width Modulated) DC to the motor when the RPM is reached.

For All Terrain and Steep Hill, the RPM is about 3100,
For Mild Hill, it is about 3350.
For Freedom Mode, it is about 4400.

Going downhill in any mode, the controller will use regen braking to try to keep the RPM within about 500 RPM of the max RPM of the mode it is in. (About 2 MPH on stock height tires.)

Mathematically, a PDS cart with a stock controller and 23" tires will do 24 MPH, but the stock motor will run out of torque before the cart will reach that speed, due to the tall tires taking more torque to turn and a 24% reduction of available torque due to the change in the final drive ratio cause by the increased tire height.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:57 PM   #15
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

So steep hill mode is referring to going down steep hills, not up. Limiting the RPM to the lowest on steep hill would imply the most regen.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
So steep hill mode is referring to going down steep hills, not up. Limiting the RPM to the lowest on steep hill would imply the most regen.
Max recommended uphill is 14° in all the modes.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
GameOver
Not Yet Wild

So in theory which mode would cause the least amount of stress on my controller?
Old 05-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #18
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
So in theory which mode would cause the least amount of stress on my controller?
no chip = all terrain mode. That's the easiest on the control with big tires.

So sorry for you driving that cart with stock control for years to come
Seriously you will be missing out on some fun.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:48 PM   #19
GameOver
Not Yet Wild

I will come over to the dark side one day. I was thinking about jumping ship to a gas yami but I think I will keep the old pds. I can't complain two years and zero trouble out of it. This cart has the 2200 us batteries in it, while all the other carts on the lot had the 1800's. Maybe that is what is saving me from destruction.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO