lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2014, 07:37 PM   #1
havnfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Battery problems

Our 1998 EZGO TXT was removed from storage early last week. It was placed in storage last December and had not been charged since then. Water was added and batteries were charged. Several hours after the charging the battery pack voltage was at 38.6 volts. Yesterday in preparation for the trip to its garage at the golf course, I checked the batteries and found the pack voltage at 35.7 volts. Water level was okay. Couldn't understand why there would be such a drop in pack voltage over the course of six days, so charged the batteries again. Today when I placed the cart in reverse and stepped on the accelerator, one of the batteries exploded. I didn't check the pack voltage before trying to move the cart. Batteries are seven years old. Any ideas on why the battery exploded. Can I expect problems with any other electrical components because of this explosion? Thanks.
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery problems

The one that exploded is trying to tell you need a new set of batteries. Weak cells generate hydrogen gas when charging which is explosive.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:03 AM   #3
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Possibly no damage to other components unless acid got on them when the battery exploded. When you take the old batteries out to replace them be sure to take time to clean the battery tray of any acid, rust and corrosion if needed. Solution of arm and hammer baking soda and water will neutralize any acid.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
havnfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the responses Radioman. Picked up new batteries this morning and put them in. Yes, did clean up all of the acid with baking soda and water. Car moved forward and backward. Now on charger. My question( which was poorly worded) is what caused the gas to explode? Looks like explosion was inside the battery from battery damage. Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2014, 02:57 PM   #5
crash test dummy

The most probable cause of internal battery explosions is from a combination of electrolyte levels below the plates, and a low resistance bridge that is formed between or across the top of the plates, and a build up of hydrogen gas in the cell. The low resistive bridge or "treeing" occurs between the positive and negative plates. When current flows in the battery, residual gas is ignited in one or more of the cells. An overheated lead-acid battery can actually explode.
Old 05-12-2014, 03:32 PM   #6
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Keep an eye on the charging device for about 8 hours to be sure it cuts off. Crash test dummy offered good explanation of explosion theory. Recharge them after each use even light use. This will help condition the batteries according to what I have read on these forums.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #7
havnfun
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the input Crash Dummy and Radioman. All is working well this morning with the new batteries. Last fall before I stored the cart, I had never experience batteries requiring as much refilling. I guess this was a sign that the batteries were at the end of their life. With the high cost of new batteries, the temptation is there to keep using old batteries perhaps longer than we should.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO