lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-21-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Proper charging question

Ok so forgive the noob question. I have a 2006 ezgo 36 volt cart. I live in s fl so it's hot. I use the cart at the moment primarily on the weekend may be once or twice during the week for a quick run lets say 30 min run time weekday and 45 to 130 min on weekends. Question is should I leave it on charger whenever it's not used. The charger dose have a float or matiance mode as I noticed if low when plugged in it will charge to about 41 volts then shut off. I assume it turns back on at some point because whenever I go to use the cart it's about that voltage. Thoughts suggestions? Not sur if it matters but the batteries are about ready to be changed they are date stamped 09 but still seem to hold a charge fairly well by that I mean it Haden's run out on me in my few short trips.
Cdebo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-21-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Proper charging question

most chargers don't have a float charge ...
after they are charged they can set for up to 2 weeks with out a charge
yea old batteries take more to get full charge they will get worse run times as they die
start saving for new batteries
Old 05-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

With five year old batteries in Florida, your cart may be running on borrowed time.

Several factors influence the useful life expectancy of cart batteries, the top two being the average SoC (State of Charge) maintained and the average temperature they are exposed to.

If your charger is shutting off at 41V, it is not fully charging your batteries. For a 36V battery pack, the On-Charge voltage should climb to about 45V before charger shuts off.

To verify what SoC your batteries are being charged to, let the batteries rest (Neither charging or discharging) for about 12 hours after charger shuts off and measure the voltage. If fully charged, the pack voltage will be about 38.2V and each battery will read about 6.37V, and all six should be within 0.1V of each other.

Lead-Acid, Deep-Cycle, Wet-Cell batteries typically self-discharge at about 1% SoC per day. That is SoC rather than voltage, so the change in voltage isn't much. (A 1% change in SoC is only about 0.035V for a 36V battery pack.)

Attached are a few charts that may be useful
1. At-Rest voltage vs SoC
2. SoC vs projected Life Expectancy
3. Temperature vs Life Expectancy and Storage capacity
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 PM   #4
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks for the info. Gona buy new batteries hopefully very soon. But should I leave them on charger whoever not used or just put it on when it's at say 80% as I know it's a bad thing to let system discharge completely.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdebo1 View Post
Thanks for the info. Gona buy new batteries hopefully very soon. But should I leave them on charger whoever not used or just put it on when it's at say 80% as I know it's a bad thing to let system discharge completely.
You should fully charge new batteries prior to the first use and then break them in properly to obtain maximum storage capacity.
Here is how:http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Batter...n_Methods.html
While on the site, read everything with the word "Battery" in the title, a lot of good info.

The batteries should be recharged after each use, or if you make several short trips during the day, put on charge each night.
If the cart isn't used for an extended period of time, initiate a charge at least every month.

I have a charger that goes into float charge after the regular charge cycle finishes, so it is plugged into my cart when the cart isn't on the road.

-------
Be sure to check out your charger, the 41V shut off isn't right.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
Cdebo1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks found that site last night. And read away........ I will be picking up new t605 today and get them on charge.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO