lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-26-2014, 01:10 PM   #1
fireandrain
Not Yet Wild

Default '97 EZ-GO TXT - Electrical Problem

Last week I took the batteries out of the cart as they were overfilled and leaking all over the place. I cleaned everything up and repainted the battery mount.

I also installed a separate 12v battery to run the lights and radio (nothing major).

I reinstalled the batteries and hooked everything back up (except the main wire that goes from the + side of the front right battery to the controller). I recharged the batteries and when I checked them in the morning, they were at 37v across all 6. I then realized that the main wire was not hooked up and reinstalled it.

When I placed the key in the ignition and tried to move it, there was nothing.

I am figuring it is either a wire somewhere or for some reason there is no power to the key/MS1?

There is a red wire (comes from the small white wire at the charge port) and a black wire that comes from the harness that leads to the accelerator that are not hooked up to anything. I took pictures before I took the batteries out and neither wire was hooked up before I took the batteries out.

The cart did run fine before I attempted to "fix" it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Charlie
fireandrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: '97 EZ-GO TXT - Electrical Problem

I am not going to0 get deep into this. I don't understand how the cart ran with the wires you mention disconnected. You got to have voltage through the key switch and this voltage usually comes from the charger receptacle white wire to red wire you mention was not connected that you reconnected but you got to unplug the charger from the cart to get the voltage. This voltage also goes through the direction selector switch This is a safety feature to prevent moving cart when it is being charged. Once through the key switch the voltage goes through another micro switch in the pedal box to the solenoid that should click when pedal is depressed. If cart is sitting there being charged it should not move. The other black wire that comes out of the ITS (Inductive throttle sensor) and I don't understand how the cart moved with the pedal depressed with it not connected.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
crash test dummy

Quote:
I recharged the batteries and when I checked them in the morning,they were at 37v across all 6
that is 70% charged ... batteries may be dead or you have a dead cell
check each battery and post results
see chart for correct voltage on charged batteries after full charge and 12 hours rest
Old 05-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #4
fireandrain
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the help, I went back out (for the 10th time) and went through each component, the key switch, battery connections,etc. I pulled all the wires out of their loom and inspected each one.

I found a black wire that was connected to the forward/reverse switch assembly (sorry if that is not the correct terminology) at the top of each microswitch - the wire came from the top of one switch as red, connected to the other switch and changed colors to black. The black wire was not connected to anything. I connected this to the positive of the 1st battery and heard the solenoid open.

I reconnected everything and tested the cart and it runs fine.

I will check the batteries individually and see what they read. Thanks again.
fireandrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It solenoid opened to let the current flow through it. You did good! Glad you got it running
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 12:32 PM   #6
Farm cart
Not Yet Wild

I have a ‘97 TXT 36 volt with 2 year old batteries that has intermittent power cutouts, usually when I am out in the field, 1/4 mile downhill from the house. I took a generator and the charger down and plugged them in, but the cart wouldn’t take a charge. I towed it back up, fiddled with wires on the on/off switch, plugged it in and it worked. Tried again, it worked for 20 feet and quit. Put in a new switch, but no go. I just bought a multimeter to test things, but don’t know WHAT I am testing for: volts, amps, watts? How do I know what I am testing for? Where is the best place to start?
Farm cart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:58 PM   #7
Capt. Lenny
Born to be Wild

E-Z-GO

Farm Cart, first thing you should do is start a new thread. Then you should be checking for volts tracing the current path using a wiring diagram for your cart model.
Capt. Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO