lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
qhcrazy
Not Yet Wild

Default 48V electric emitting "chlorine type smell"

I have a 2003 ez go electric converted 48V cart. There was a chlorine type smell that was detected yesterday. We have not smelled this smell before. The forward/reverse switch assembly was recently replaced, and all battery tops and connections were neutralized as well. What could this smell be and is it dangerous? There are teenagers that ride this thing and I would hate for anyone to get hurt. Could it be explosive?
qhcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
jericho
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 48V electric emitting "chlorine type smell"

qhcrazy,I am a complete novice on modern golf carts.I think all the pros took the day off,when a battery is over charged or leaking it will put off a sulfer smell.Are you smelling sulfer or hot rubber as in wire sheathing.check all your batteries and make sure none are wet on top or sides.What do you mean by all tops and connections were neutralized?
jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #3
qhcrazy
Not Yet Wild

Thank you Jericho. What I meant by all batteries were neutralized, is that I poured baking soda/water mixture all over the tops and connections to neutralize any acid that may have seeped out. We pulled the part off that we think is the culprit. It's a fuse that has the part number: CNN250, it was connected to the battery. It looks like the wire that ran from the back of it goes to the charging receptacle. Would a burning fuse smell like "burned plastic"? What would burn the fuse? What is the fuse used for? Our cart is a converted 2003 ez go txt to a 48Volt.
qhcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
jericho
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I dont think you could smell a blown fuse.Do you have a volt meter?If you do set it on continuity,touch both sides of the fuse if you get a tone the fuse is good.What normally blows a fuse is a dead short,I dont think you have a blown fuse from your discription.The cart is operating normally right?You may be smelling that new smell when the batteries and moter warm up.Like i said in previous post ......just guessing.Let us know.
jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:26 PM   #5
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A blown fuse would not normally emit a odor. You may have a connection or something getting hot somewhere. If you can't locate where it is coming from park it until you get help. Inspect the terminals on the motor. They are made of plastic and if there is a loose connection it will get hot and melt or burn the plastic around the terminal. Something is fixing to fail.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO