lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-07-2014, 10:08 PM   #1
jdedgewood
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 48 Volt DS With 36 Volt Batteries

I just bought a 2000 CC DS 48 Volt cart that had six 6 volt batteries in it for the last two plus years. The owner said the cart needed batteries when he bought it, so he bought the 6 volts on the recommendation of the battery store (Batteries +). I don't know how well it ran, but needless to say, the batteries were pretty badly swollen, posts poking out at strange angles, sweating... and lots of corrosion. I have ordered some Trojan B-875's to be delivered tomorrow, but before I put them in, aside from thoroughly cleaning everything in the battery compartment, is there anything in particular I should be aware of that may have been damaged by the 36 volt battery pack?
jdedgewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-07-2014, 10:22 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 48 Volt DS With 36 Volt Batteries

Nasty corrosion-filled cables are gonna spread the cancer to the new battery terminals.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:51 PM   #3
jdedgewood
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks, I planned on new cables, but probably would have gone ahead with the old ones to start off with - new ones are cheap enough, and will save me time when it comes to replacing the old ones and getting rid of the corrosion they would have started.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
rib33024

Welcome to BGW

Use cables made for a golf cart. NOT auto store battery cables, there not made for golf carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdedgewood View Post
Thanks, I planned on new cables, but probably would have gone ahead with the old ones to start off with - new ones are cheap enough, and will save me time when it comes to replacing the old ones and getting rid of the corrosion they would have started.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #5
vagabond
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
If you can, go with 2gauge cables. ScottyB makes up a great set.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 12:41 AM   #6
jdedgewood
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

How much difference is there between 4 and 2 gauge cables? I realize the size and capacity are pretty much doubled, but unless I modify the controller, F/R switch, solenoid, and motor, will it have much effect on performance?
Old 08-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #7
jdedgewood
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the good advice, I am going to keep to CC parts or industry-specific replacements. I don't want to have to keep "fixing" things that wouldn't have gone wrong had they been done right the first time.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:29 AM   #8
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
How much difference is there between 4 and 2 gauge cables? I realize the size and capacity are pretty much doubled, but unless I modify the controller, F/R switch, solenoid, and motor, will it have much effect on performance?
4 gauge will just fine even with a controller upgrade. 2 gauge is just an upgrade from there if 4 gauge cables are becoming warm.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Just thinking.. If it had 6 6 volts in it, how were they charged? Going back 48 is great if that is what it should be but you will need a 48 volt charger..
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:04 PM   #10
jdedgewood
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I am not certain, I do know the guy tried to charge them individually with an automotive battery charger just before he sold it to me. Judging from the condition of the batteries, maybe he tried to use the 48 volt charger (I don't know how well that would work) ? Nothing is modified on the cart, and I have the 48 volt charger. I may be incorrectly assuming that the batteries were the only thing that was wrong.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO