lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2014, 09:54 PM   #1
fingers
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Mis-matched batteries

I was looking at a 2001 TXT PDS cart today that I am considering buying. It has 5 fairly new Trojan T105's and a single much older battery. The owner said he didn't know why they, I'm guessing the previous owner, didn't replace them all at the same time.

My question is what impact does having one old battery in the pack have on the remaining ones? I'm not sure how long it has been run this way but I think the T105's are a year or two old. I wasn't able to test voltages but I did test drive the cart. It seemed a little slow but that was just my gut feeling. I did not measure the speed. The cart is in decent shape and has lights and a horn. I think the cart is stock otherwise.

Should I assume the entire pack is probably degraded and figure that into my offer or can I just replace the one old battery and the pack will be fine?

Thanks,

Dave
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Mis-matched batteries

It's never good to have a mismatched battery in a series pack. Weak link! I would load test them and if the older one shows any weakness, replace it. It's better to have one newer battery than one older one.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

We can't give you an educated answer from here. But you are smart to question the practice. People who replace 5 out of 6 batteries are sort of shooting themselves in the foot. They save $100 on the battery purchase but they degrade the lifespan and performance of the pack by doing so. Consider the pack more used than new and keep in mind you may need 1 or 6 new batteries in the near future. Good luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 10:35 PM   #4
fingers
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Scotty and V_A. That's pretty much what I figured. I'll probably pass on the cart as it's priced like it has a fairly new battery pack. I could offer less but the current owner probably wouldn't understand and just figure I was low-balling him.

Too bad because otherwise it was a pretty nice cart at a fair price if the batteries were fresh.
Old 08-24-2014, 04:33 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If you were planning on buying it, I assume you have access to a trailer. Maybe you and the owner can both take it somewhere to load test each battery. Make sure they can load test buggy deep cycle batteries, not car cranking batteries. If the old one is truly bad, he'll know you aren't low-balling him (that sounds obscene). Depending on the condition of the Trojans, you could plan on buying a relatively new used battery, one that load tests the same as the five in the buggy. If they're all weakened due to the bad one, you and the owner would know it, and you could prorate their value, based on expected life, knowing you'll have to replace them all soon. Remember, there have apparently been two owners of the five "new" batteries, and you have no idea of how well they were maintained. It's a pretty common misconception that batteries don't need to be charged after each use.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:43 AM   #6
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers View Post
I think the T105's are a year or two old
Check for stampings in the battery posts. You should see a letter and a number for month and year. The letter A would be for January and L for December. I think B2 would be Feb. 2012. Someone please correct me if this is wrong.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:41 AM   #7
fingers
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Yurtle and Ric. I have access to a trailer but it is a friends that I will need to borrow. I really don't know how the batteries were taken care of by the previous owners. The current owner has rarely used the cart for the year or so that he has owned it. They are only here, in Las Vegas, part time so the cart sits for weeks, maybe months, at a time without being used. He did mention that he leaves it plugged into the charger. But it is a Powerwise charger. I am new at this but I think I read that that charger will not keep charging while unattended for long periods of time. You need to restart the charging process. Is that correct?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers View Post
Thanks Yurtle and Ric. I have access to a trailer but it is a friends that I will need to borrow. I really don't know how the batteries were taken care of by the previous owners. The current owner has rarely used the cart for the year or so that he has owned it. They are only here, in Las Vegas, part time so the cart sits for weeks, maybe months, at a time without being used. He did mention that he leaves it plugged into the charger. But it is a Powerwise charger. I am new at this but I think I read that that charger will not keep charging while unattended for long periods of time. You need to restart the charging process. Is that correct?
That is correct.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:15 PM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Months without being charged (unplugged and replugged on a PowerWise) could be considered battery abuse. At $600 or more for replacement, I'd hope your buddy would be understanding on price, since he was the cause for possible prematurly old batteries.

A load test will tell the story, even if you have to pay for it.

I bought a buggy for more than it was worth, but am really happy with it. Though abused, the batteries still lasted nine years, though my daily drive is fairly flat.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 02:24 PM   #10
fingers
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Unfortunately the buddy isn't the owner. He just has the trailer that I'm going to borrow if/when I buy a cart. I don't know the owner and he doesn't seem very knowledgeable about battery care or carts in general. I may try to explain the situation to the owner and he can either have them load tested or I could just offer a price reflecting that I will have to replace the batteries sooner rather than later and see what happens.

I will be adding a back seat kit and I live in a hilly neighborhood so I need all the power I can get. If and when I do replace the pack I will be upgrading to 6-8 volts and new controller, solenoid and cables.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO