lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
flybikedave
Not Yet Wild

Default PDS speed sensor problems

Speed sensor wire was torn by a branch, exposing all three uninsulated wire ends (red, white & black). Spliced wires back together, same problem (fast for one second, then crawls) Removed entire speed sensor and ohm'd out wires from pick up coil end to plug end, good continuity. Replaced and same problem. Have seen other posts saying must now replace controller, but am trying to avoid that expense on this 12 yr. old stock cart. I understand the speed sensor is mainly to control down hill speeds, which is not an issue for me. Would love to learn how to bypass the speed sensor circuit, if anyone knows how. All thought and/or comments welcome. Thanks
flybikedave is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS speed sensor problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybikedave View Post
Speed sensor wire was torn by a branch, exposing all three uninsulated wire ends (red, white & black). Spliced wires back together, same problem (fast for one second, then crawls) Removed entire speed sensor and ohm'd out wires from pick up coil end to plug end, good continuity. Replaced and same problem. Have seen other posts saying must now replace controller, but am trying to avoid that expense on this 12 yr. old stock cart. I understand the speed sensor is mainly to control down hill speeds, which is not an issue for me. Would love to learn how to bypass the speed sensor circuit, if anyone knows how. All thought and/or comments welcome. Thanks
It limits the cart's top speed on level ground as well, and it provides the "Walkaway Safety" feature.
A stock PDS controller will not allow the cart to move more than 2-3 MPH without a input from the motor speed sensor and there is no way to bypass it.

The sensor may have been damaged when the cable was pulled hard, so installing a new sensor assembly may fix the cart.
Also, check that the magnet disk is tight on motor shaft and the spacing between disk and sensor is correct. (There are two snap rings - inner and outer - that have to be in the groves fro proper spacing)

BTW: An Alltrax DCX400 will up the cart speed into the low 20's and provide more torque at the low end.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:23 AM   #3
chriskent85
Gone Wild

i had a problem with one of my pds's put 5 speed sensors on it until i realized that they were faulty from Nivel. ordered one from ezgo and it worked perfect.
chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskent85 View Post
i had a problem with one of my pds's put 5 speed sensors on it until i realized that they were faulty from Nivel. ordered one from ezgo and it worked perfect.
Way to go nivel
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO