lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-07-2020, 10:18 PM   #1
hiway44
Not Yet Wild

Default Failed Lithium project

Tonight, I installed my drop in twin pack of Nissan Leaf G2 into my 2016 Club Car Pres. I purchased the 2 leaf packs from BBattery. Suppose to be plug n play. Twin 7 leaf batteries and were connected with the parallel cable for extended run time and amp. The cart would run but would die as I accelerated. I believe the BMS is cutting it off due to amp.

I know the correct fix is to make one pack, but I combined the two packs as Bbattery suggest, but didn’t work. I am goanna try using one pack and connecting directly to the solenoid and by passing the BMS . Using the BMS just for charging. This is the quick fix that Sergio suggest.

Can anyone give me an ideal on how to use the 14 leaf batteries instead of just the 7. Thanks
hiway44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-07-2020, 10:46 PM   #2
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Failed Lithium project

Never mind I was thinking of the wrong BMS. What kind of BMS are you using?
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 07:05 AM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well, I guess you could run the two packs as separate power sources and when unit#1 runs low, you could then switch to unit#2.

I'm no engineer but I would think two switches, perhaps similar to this one, would do the duty.

This would not be my preferred choice as I'd rather the units be one 14 module pack. OTOH, it would take some work to join both packs as one unit...then just use one BMS that would NOT have the power going thru the BMS itself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-R...5.c10#viTabs_0

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:02 AM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

hiway44, unfortunately that was what we were trying to convey to You, but at least you don't have to worry about "what if" those guys that sold you the packs were right....

If You use that simplified diagram we talked about (single relay modification) You can build a single pack of 7 or 14 modules and use the BMS for charging control.

Since You now know the seller is clueless about what it takes to run a golf cart, please consider his comments about the PC board being good enough for the application.

You really should replace the PC board with bus-bars and ring connectors for the tap wires.

If You do the original 3 relay design in my thread, You could convert just one 7 module pack and start using it now.

You can then build a second 7 module pack using the 3 relay design and parallel them together safely for double the discharge current and range.

You can also see the progress by member yensidcamper in my thread for another perspective on how to assemble the system.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160302
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:25 AM   #5
hiway44
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Sergio,

I will take your advice, heading to the local hardware store to get some 4 gauge wire for the straight connection as stated.

Copper Busbars: plan on making my own for a quick startup for now. Does anyone have the proper lengths or scale diagram that I can use? A paper drawing that I can upload?

Where can I purchase busbars from for the leaf batteries beside Bbattery?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

PingEye3 has a couple of sources for the copper bars he uses, hopefully he will see this thread and comment.

I checked TechDirect and they don't have the pre-cut and drilled bars listed anymore.

The spacing between holes in 1.3333" (or as close as you can get).

You have the right idea, make a template with the proper spacing and then use a center punch to transfer the marks to the copper bars before drilling.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 09:53 AM   #7
hiway44
Not Yet Wild

Hi All,
Question?

I have one of two pack apart , going to add a 2gauge wire from the positive to the solenoid to get up and running. (using 1 pack only)

Leaving everything else as is as charging would be going through the BMS and Anderson SB50 cable.

Sergio, Direct hot wire to the solenoid and black to neg port. Hot (red) wire will be going into my Alltrac XC500 controller. Would this work until I get the rest of the material needed to build one 14 module pack?
I know the resister and relay that you suggest by KS1 will not be use. I'm thinking I can use the Controller to control the high/low voltage?

Thanks.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:51 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

https://www.mcmaster.com/8964K5/

This is the copper bars I purchased for my build. I purchased 2' lengths at a cost of $12 each. You can buy longer one's....or shorter one's but when I "didi the math" the 2' sections (I bot two) worked out fine.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:23 PM   #9
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
PingEye3 has a couple of sources for the copper bars he uses, hopefully he will see this thread and comment.

I checked TechDirect and they don't have the pre-cut and drilled bars listed anymore.

The spacing between holes in 1.3333" (or as close as you can get).

You have the right idea, make a template with the proper spacing and then use a center punch to transfer the marks to the copper bars before drilling.
I have gotten my bus bar material from McMaster Carr Supply. Below is a link to the page for the copper bars. When you get to individual part numbers the link does not go that deep. You'll have to look on this page for the 3/4" wide copper bar and choose your thickness. I have always used 1/16" . But if cart has 23" knobby tires and is used in the woods and pulls lots of amps because of this use, I would go to 1/8" thickness.

Attached is a drawing that prints in 1-1 scale on my printer. It should for everyone else as well. You can center punch thru the paper.

https://www.mcmaster.com/metals/copp...ts-and-bars-9/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Double Pack Bus Bars.pdf (24.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf Lithium 14 Cell Pack w Bluetooth- Tap Harness.pdf (115.3 KB, 0 views)
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #10
hiway44
Not Yet Wild

Hi All,
Update,
I finally got one of the two packs install and wired up using the direct connect to solenoid method. I am charging the lithium pack via the Anderson SB 50 cable. I started with 53.8 volts and ran it down to 50 volts. There is much more power with this pack then my Lead Acid batteries and less drop of amps.
I got the cart up to 5500rpm with the FSIP speed motor. I did feel a slight hesitation at times after running the cart hard. I’m not sure if that has anything to due with the cheap PC Board (busbars)?
I have included several photos of my temporary setup for now. I will be making one pack once I receive my busbars.
The charger says its defaulted for 54.8 volts, but has only charged both packs to 53.8 volts?
Also, can anyone explain the drop in amps/volt after riding for about a mile and slight hesitation. When I returned home my pack was reading 50 volts. I have included a monitor file?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200709_124347.jpg (153.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200709_120430.jpg (119.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200709_120305.jpg (204.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200709_120325.jpg (194.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200709_120902.jpg (234.7 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car