lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 AM   #1
sooner310
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 EZGO Marathon motor studs broke

I am a newbie needing a little help. I bought 1987 EZGO PC4x for great cheap price of $300. Added some new batteries and it started running but not as fast as expected. I have good voltage across batteries (replaced all cables with 4 gauge), solenoid, resistor coils. After cleaning the wire posts, I noticed it was moving a bit faster. The only posts not cleaned were the ones on the motor itself. I tried to remove the rusted bolt(two cables I had not replaced) and that is when the stud/bolt started turning freely. I knew it was bad when the cart would not move. Pulled the motor to find the connectors were broke from the studs. My question is should I have these re-welded or look for a new motor? If I get a new motor, can someone point me to the correct motor? I would like to upgrade to a lift kit and bigger tires with time. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
sooner310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-19-2015, 04:16 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 1987 EZGO Marathon motor studs broke

Sounds like you may have caused expensive damage (twisted-off the wires inside the motor, not fixed with a "solder-it-up job"). Consider taking the motor to a "starter/generator/alternator" rebuild shop. They may be able to fix it for less than a new motor. If you have the "resistor coil" motor controller setup i think you may have, the stock system is not a great setup for a "beefed-up" motor without significant upgrades.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
sooner310
Not Yet Wild

It is all stock with the resistor coil controller. I will check out a starter shop to see what can be done. Outside of a conversion kit to electronic controller, how could I upgrade to a motor with more torque?
sooner310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
biggie1976
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner310 View Post
It is all stock with the resistor coil controller. I will check out a starter shop to see what can be done. Outside of a conversion kit to electronic controller, how could I upgrade to a motor with more torque?
ScottyB sells a conversion kit for it. And Many motor manufacturers out there.
biggie1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
slowfozzy
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

What did you end up doing? I think I might have the same issue myself, in the middle of a rebuild and not sure if my studs have spun off or not.
slowfozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
crash test dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowfozzy View Post
What did you end up doing? I think I might have the same issue myself, in the middle of a rebuild and not sure if my studs have spun off or not.
you too can find a shop to do a rebuild
Old 01-28-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
87ezgo87
Not Yet Wild

My stud broke too on my 87 marathon, just can't get the motor off. How many bolts are there? I can get to 3 at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock. Is there one on the bottom (6 o'clock)? If so how do you get to it?
Thanks!
87ezgo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 02:40 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

When removing or replacing the motor cables, you need to use two wrenches, one to hold back the stud and the other for removing the nut.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
36v, ezgo 1987, series motor
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO