lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-26-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default DPI charger use

I will have my reno that I started a year ago finished and running (assuming I didn't make any wiring mistakes) probably by this weekend.

Talking to the people where I am getting my Trojan batteries, they say NEVER leave a golf cart on the charger which I think contradicts most of what I've seen here. And to support their position, they told of a man who left his cart on the charger for 3 months (at second home) to return and find it fried.

Have a new DPI charger and will have t-875's. From glancing over the DPI manual, set the switches to 'brown' for Trojan.

So if I'm not using the cart everyday (or every week) do I still leave on the charger without concern for premature battery failure?

Any advice for breaking in? Will have a voltmeter to monitor.

Thanks,..
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2016, 10:37 AM   #2
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: DPI charger use

They are full of BS....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I check my batteries every time I come home off ship so they get checked once every 6 weeks. My cart is not used much while I'm gone and when not in use it is plugged into a 17 amp DPI charger that float charges right at 53.00 Volts 24/7 and to this day they have not needed any water at all. These batteries were installed July of 2014 and have been on the DPI charger since Nox 2014
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Yup. Those chargers are multi-faceted. They know when and how much to charge. Simply put, when your cart needs some charge the charger will do it. If your charger doesn't need a charge the charger will turn off. If the batteries lose volts after a couple of weeks the charger will come on again (on its own) and turn off again (on its own) when the batteries are charged again.

Those battery guys should know better than that but they may be speaking about the old school chargers with the timers on them? Those stay on until the timer turns the charger off (versus the charger recognizing that the batteries are full and shutting itself off). Still, once the timer is off there is no way for charger to some back on so, unless the timer was bad, even these cases the batteries would be ok.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #4
crash test dummy

Quote:
Talking to the people where I am getting my Trojan batteries,

they told of a man who left his cart on the charger for 3 months (at second home) to return and find it fried.
run !!! ... do not just walk away from those battery guys
if they gave a costumer wrong info, what else are they doing ?
i would look else where for your battery needs
Old 04-26-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
greg-g
Gone Wild

They are correct do not leave it on THE charger (stock charger 59-63 volt) but on a DPI is not THE charger its aftermarket and has a low voltage 51-53 volt float or maintenance charge
greg-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:26 PM   #6
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-g View Post
They are correct do not leave it on THE charger (stock charger 59-63 volt) but on a DPI is not THE charger its aftermarket and has a low voltage 51-53 volt float or maintenance charge
No that is not quite right... The DPI charger follows the same basic charging algorithm as any other charger and will in fact also output upward of 65 volts during the finish phase of the charge it will then taper off to a float charge of 53 to 54 volts depending on how set. Also no harm in leaving a properly functioning stock charger such as the Power Drive hooked up as once charged it will turn off and remain off for 14 days to which it will then turn back on and charge the batteries again.... It all boils down to the key words of "properly functioning" charger...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
klanel
Gone Wild
Club Car

OK, thanks for the replies. I too think they may be referring to the old chargers. Last time I had a cart, I was a young teenager and there was a timer in the cart house to shut if off after so long. Just wanted to verify with those experienced with the newer chargers, DPI specifically since that is what I purchased.

Any suggestions for battery break in to get the longest life out of the batteries? Do's, don'ts, etc,..
klanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:39 PM   #8
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Carts Unlimited has a whole section on battery break-in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:41 PM   #9
270Handiman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

http://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-break-in-.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
270Handiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car