lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #1
Ronman
Getting Wild

Default Mixing Batteries- For a quick test ONLY

I am attempting to revive my 2000 36v Series TXT. Last time I used it I took it off the charger, backed out, put it in forward and it went dead. I pushed it back into the garage and it has sat there for a year. I never knew if it was my batteries, charger, motor or something else.

I want to get it running and upgrade to new controller, f/r, etc. and possibly 48v. However, I don't want to buy new batteries until I know it's just the batteries. I took the charger to the golf course the other day, plugged it one of their carts and it is working. They wont allow me to use their batteries in my cart to test.

I have managed to get 5 batteries over 5 volts with only 30 minutes charge each. The last battery is completely dead.

So, my crazy idea is this... Can I pull the dead battery and the one next to and drop a 12v from the boat in their place? I only want to hit the pedal and make sure it goes forward and reverse, never leaving the garage. Will this hurt anything? I'm not going to try and charge, I'm not going to take a spin.
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Mixing Batteries- For a quick test ONLY

LOL- check your email!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
Ronman
Getting Wild

LOL, Thanks.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:10 PM   #4
Helirich
Gone Wild

I think all the batteries are shot.

Not sure if Scotty fixed your problem, but you could take your boat battery and the batteries from both your cars and try it. It wouldn't hurt anything to take it for short spin like that.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:44 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post

Not sure if Scotty fixed your problem, but you could take your boat battery and the batteries from both your cars and try it. It wouldn't hurt anything to take it for short spin like that.
I told him I thought it would only work a little with the wheels off the ground - any real load would pull the guts out of these old neglected partially charged batts.
Old 07-11-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
Ronman
Getting Wild

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the batteries are shot. All I want to see is the rear wheels to turn so I know everything else is good.

I didn't know enough about the charger when this originally happened to know the battery pack had to have 23v to kick it on. I just assumed the charger was bad at that point. Needless to say, the batteries have sat there unattended all this time. Odds are it was that one battery the whole time, but I need to be sure.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:52 AM   #7
Helirich
Gone Wild

As Scotty said, with the wheels off the ground, it maybe OK. But I think for a good test, I would use three good 12V batteries and actually drive it a short distance.

The problem I see is those 5V batteries might drop to zero with the slightest load and you'd think the cart was no good.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Trying to run with dead batteries can fry your controller. Not that good an idea.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:00 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
As Scotty said, with the wheels off the ground, it maybe OK. But I think for a good test, I would use three good 12V batteries and actually drive it a short distance.

The problem I see is those 5V batteries might drop to zero with the slightest load and you'd think the cart was no good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
Trying to run with dead batteries can fry your controller. Not that good an idea.
True true.
I think in this case he's trying to verify the motor works before upgrading the control etc?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Maybe I'm missing something, but wouldn't the usual lower voltage spin test be enough?

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO