lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 PM   #1
wolly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2013 EZGO 48V sound system help

I have installed a fair share of stereo systems in trucks, but I don't have the knowledge wen it comes to electric golf carts. I have a 2013 EZGO 48v (6 8V batteries) that i want to install a decent sounding audio system on. I've been reading about using a stand alone battery but I'm curious how i would tie this in and keep it charged as well. Would that 12V battery be enough to handle multiple accessories? After i figure out how to charge the stand alone battery, I believe I will be good to go

Anyone have pictures of the best location to install a sub-woofer on the EZGO??

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Posting on a forum is a first for me do be easy!

thanks--
wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2016, 06:00 AM   #2
MichaelClayshulte
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2013 EZGO 48V sound system help

I dont believe you will be able to tie in a stand alone battery to your existing golf cart batteries to charge it, i think the best option as far as charging it would be to just have a separate 12v charger to hook it up after use
MichaelClayshulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:53 AM   #3
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Check into a 48v to 12v volatage reducer then all you have to do is to keep the regular battery pack charged. Also, if you are new to electric carts I have read that it is best not to ground anything to the cart frame. Ground goes to the pack.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As has been posted, the simplest way is to get a DC/DC reducer and run everything through a fuse panel for your accessories.

If you still want to do a standalone battery, you would either have to add a second 12v charger to charge that specific battery or wire up a solar panel on the roof. I have done it both ways, and since I am in Florida where the sun beats the hell out of us, I typically opt for the solar panel method.

As for mounting a sub, when I was with E-Z-GO and we customized carts for Tiger Woods and Derrick Jeeter, we had custom boxes built that were installed just below the Motor access panel with a hole cut in the panel for the speaker grill (note these were 4 passenger carts with extended roofs so rain was a minimal issue). Tiger's cart also had 2 thumpers mounted to the bottom of the front seat so he could "feel" the base. Never really understood those since almost all his presets were for country music, but whatever......
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #5
wolly
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

If I go the route of just using the 48V and a voltage reducer for the accessories, will that put a strain on the system or drain the system too fast? I've read a few places where they didn't use the stand alone battery and the radio would go out when they pressed the pedal and would start back when they released the pedal. Just trying to get different ideas. I want to do it right and the best way possible. Thanks guys for your help so far!
wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:37 AM   #6
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Typically the EM pulse from the controller will knock out radio reception. I actually had a cart that the EM was so strong it would kill the radio reception on a vehicle parked 20 feet away when the controller was engaged. I have never had a radio set to Bluetooth drop out while running the cart around regardless of how I wired the power (either separate battery or through a reducer)

The reducer will be a draw on the pack so you might see a few less miles per charge, but as a rule, you won't notice the effect unless you go crazy with accessories (lots of non LED lights, radio, multiple amps, fans ....... )
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #7
03psd73
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I've got a 48v to 12v reducer and have no problems whatsoever with the radio during out. Going with the reducer to me is the only way to go. Just like ricochet said don't ground to the cart frame, I used a separate ground block for all my grounds on the 12 v side. I also used a fuse block to make running all my accessories easier.
03psd73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
t-bonebaits
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Mine is a 36 volt and i use a stand alone Optima blue top. I have a small 12v charger just for that battery. As far as that battery running multiple things, mine runs a Wetsounds Stealth 6 with a 200 watt class D amplifier built in and a JL Audio mx300/1 300 watt mono block amp to a 10" Polk MM1040 at 2 ohms. I have run the system at mid level volume, as it gets very loud to turn all the way up, for hours at a time and never had the system shut down. My girlfriend and I will sit on it at night sipping cocktails and listening to tunes. I have a 4 seater and built an enclosure for the sub that fits between the seats facing forward. Wetsounds is mounted on top of the dash. Hope this may help you out somehow.
t-bonebaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #9
Helirich
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
Check into a 48v to 12v volatage reducer then all you have to do is to keep the regular battery pack charged. Also, if you are new to electric carts I have read that it is best not to ground anything to the cart frame. Ground goes to the pack.
I'm not sure what is meant in the last sentence. Most people would recumend not to ground the frame to anything. If you want to ground a seperate 12V battery to the frame, I can't see a problem. But defiantly do not ground the 48V system.
Helirich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
I'm not sure what is meant in the last sentence. Most people would recommend not to ground the frame to anything. If you want to ground a seperate 12V battery to the frame, I can't see a problem. But defiantly do not ground the 48V system.
What I meant was reading about not grounding any "accessories" to the frame. E.g. my 12v headlights have two wires, one Pos and one Neg. Both go back to battery pack.
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO