lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cart Won't Go

Like a lot of other post I've read my cart EZGO 48v cart won't run at all for the moment. But sometimes it runs fine. It's in the dead mode for now. This has been going on for almost a year now.
In trying to resolve the problem, I changed the FNR hand switch to solenoids and put a FNR toggle switch on dash. It all worked fine for awhile and thought that fixed the problem, then back to the "No Go" mode.
When I turn the key switch on, the Alltrax 4855 flashed 4 green then solid green. As I understand meaning "good to go" as far as the controller is concerned.
In following some of the related threads, I'm concerned about the solenoid. Battery pack voltage is 49.5, so is both sides of the big post on solenoid. When I press the accelerator the voltage at the solenoid remains at 49.5 on both post. I was under the impression it was suppose drop to 0 volts. I checked the micro switch at the foot pedal box and seems to be working mechanically but didn't know how to check with a volt meter.
All connections are good, battery terminals are clean and tight. I have this problem with full charged batteries and 50% charged batteries. Batteries are 8v Trojans and about 4 years old. 50.5v is all the pack will charge up to.
Any thoughts to share? Could it be in the Plum Quick motor? I'm not sure where to go from here. Thanks for your input.
Checkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-09-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart Won't Go

you didn't say.....so first question....when you push on the "gas" pedal....do you hear the solenoid activate "CLICK"?
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:40 PM   #3
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry, yes it does click.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

hmmmmm I am sure one of the guys (like Johnnie) can get you going on the electrical system troubleshooting stuff a lot better than I can. especially since you have the reverse contactor set up too. you already checked all of the high current cables for tightness as you mentioned.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Both the main solenoid and the reverse contactor should click when you try to go.
Take the bog resistor off of the solenoid and retest the high voltage circuit.
Also I'm suspect the F&R switch which fixed the problem may need removal and cleaning?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #6
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I've been out of pocket for a few days. Before I go any further with this post instructions, help me with this. Something seems wrong with my battery pack. I'm reading 21.78 volts on each of my 8v batteries. I thought something was wrong with my Fluke but I check my lawn mower battery and is reading correctly. My total battery pack is reading 115v; my solenoid is reading 113v on the big post to controller. I took the battery cables off one of the batteries and still reads 21v. My volt meter on the dash reads 48.3v. In my electronics ignorance, what in the world gives?

IMG_4142.JPG

IMG_4143.JPG

Last edited by Checkride; 08-12-2016 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Forgot to add attachment
Old 08-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Digital multimeters tend to read high when their battery is low, so I'd replace the battery in the Fluke and try it again.

The 72dpi resolution of the iPhone-6 picture you posted is too low to enlarge very much, but it sure looks like the low battery icon is on. (Black thingy in red circle on rotated X4 enlargement)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4142- low battery indicator circled.jpg (216.5 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:37 PM   #8
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks JohnnyB. I thought of that too and changed batteries. Some way I installed another dead 9v. I should of noticed the battery indicator. All good now.
After disconnecting the M- cable and reinstalling after checking the pack batteries, the cart now runs. It seems disconnecting the M- cable may have reset something. Wish I knew what, as this will happen again in a couple days.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:10 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

In an earlier post in this thread, you said the solenoid was clicking when the cart won't go, so the problem is in the high current circuit. (Motor, controller, FNR and cables, plus throttle)

Carry you Flukemeter with you and the next time the cart misbehaves, measure between the controller's B- and M- terminals.

Should read full battery pack voltage when pedal is pushed just far enough to make solenoid click. IF you don't get ~48V, there is an open in a cable, the FNR or motor.

If you do get ~48V, slowly press the pedal and the voltage ought to smoothly decrease towards 0V. (should red about 0V with pedal on floor)

If the voltage does not decrease, the problem is either in controller or throttle circuit.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:38 PM   #10
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I copied your instructions to my phone notes to have with me. When it wasn't running and with key on and pressed the pedal till solenoid clicked the controller flashed 4 green then solid green. With that could it still be a problem in the controller?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO