lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2017, 04:01 PM   #1
slashpine
Getting Wild

Default Drive Control System usage...?

The drive control prevents the cart from rolling off or down a hill etc. if left unattended without the parking brake set...I am not sure of what this function is called...but my question is...Can this function be used to descend steep hills to save brake wear?
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2017, 04:18 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Drive Control System usage...?

It's called rollaway protection and no, in my tests it was not adequate to stop a cart on a steep hill.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 05:07 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

The walkaway safety feature of DCS (and PDS) carts doesn't prevent the cart from rolling away, it just tries to keep it from rolling away very fast (<2 MPH) so you can catch up with it.

Something called regen (regenerative) braking is used and it comes on at max when the cart starts rolling with the pedal up. Regen braking also comes on when a DCS cart's downhill speed exceeds its max speed on level ground. Of course, an overly steep hill will overpower the regen braking, so on a steep hill you have to also use the foot brake to keep it from going too fast.

Lift your foot off the accelerator pedal when you are going downhill and the cart will slow down, or at least not gain as much speed, depending on the steepness of the hill.

Regen braking will not stop a DCS or PDS or TXT-48V cart. Not sure on a DCS or TXT-48V, but it drops out at about 8 MPH in a PDS cart. With an Alltrax XCT controller, the regen braking is programmable, so you can tune it more to your liking.

I get up to about 25 MPH on city streets and usually let the regen braking slow my cart 20 MPH or less before applying the foot brake.

Also, the electrical energy produced by regen braking is put back into the battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
slashpine
Getting Wild

Thanks for the replies...

Here is a typical scenario around here...many of the neighbors driveways are the steepest grades our cart encounters... on one particular grade I practically have to stand on the brake pedal to descend it...but if I stop the cart at the top so it will roll forward the DCS kicks in and it will slowly descend the hill...much smoother than using the brakes...

Will doing this hurt the motor or the controller the batteries or anything?...if this is regenerative it sounds like a win win situation for my use if it's OK and won't hurt anything...

I'm not meaning that I'm relying 100% on the "roll-away-walk-away" function to take the cart down the inclines..am always ready on the brake just wondering if it hurts anything to use the function for this purpose ??
Old 01-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Other than the rabid beeping assaulting your ears, no harm is done as long as it isn't done too often or for too long at one time. The motor heats up during regen braking and the regen braking is at max when the cart rolls away, but up to 50 yards or so shouldn't overheat it.

On the other hand, the regen braking that occurs when you lift your foot off the throttle isn't as intense and it can be used for longer distances.

Because of the rollaway safety feature, the Run/Tow switch has to be in the Tow position when cart is pulled by another vehicle. If it is pulled too fast or too far in the Run position, the motor, controller and batteries can be destroyed. When transporting cart on a trailer or in a pickup bed, put switch in Tow position. One form member was carrying cart home and his pickup was doing 55 when it came out of the bed and IIRC, it took out both the motor and controller before it came to a stop.

-------
Sounds like your brakes need some attention. You should be able to slide the tires.

Maybe they just need some auto-adjusting. Drive cart at cruising speed on level pavement and stand on brake pedal until cart slows to about 2 MPH and then release the pedal. Repeat as required.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
slashpine
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Other than the rabid beeping assaulting your ears, no harm is done as long as it isn't done too often or for too long at one time. The motor heats up during regen braking and the regen braking is at max when the cart rolls away, but up to 50 yards or so shouldn't overheat it.

On the other hand, the regen braking that occurs when you lift your foot off the throttle isn't as intense and it can be used for longer distances.

Because of the rollaway safety feature, the Run/Tow switch has to be in the Tow position when cart is pulled by another vehicle. If it is pulled too fast or too far in the Run position, the motor, controller and batteries can be destroyed. When transporting cart on a trailer or in a pickup bed, put switch in Tow position. One form member was carrying cart home and his pickup was doing 55 when it came out of the bed and IIRC, it took out both the motor and controller before it came to a stop.

-------
Sounds like your brakes need some attention. You should be able to slide the tires.

Maybe they just need some auto-adjusting. Drive cart at cruising speed on level pavement and stand on brake pedal until cart slows to about 2 MPH and then release the pedal. Repeat as required.
OK, thanks...good to know...

I disconnected the beepers long ago...The terrain here (N.E. GA) is mountainous...there really are no level areas mostly either uphill or downhill...so I'm used to trying to keep the brakes adjusted.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO